Mobile Hotspot/Internet On-The-Go

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by CallMeTrowa, Jan 20, 2018.

1. CallMeTrowa

CallMeTrowa Bobtail Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Does anyone use a mobile hotspot while they are out on the road? How is it working out for you (as far as the service)? I'm wanting to take online courses during my 1 year contract so that I can finish my associates degree. If you don't use a mobile hotspot, how often would you say you're able to find a place that allows you to access the internet?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    all I use is my mobile hot spot.....at home too. Many truckstops sell wifi, but I've never used it. I don't game or watch TV and it works well for me. I have Verizon super duper unlimited ($160 a month for 2 phones)

4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I use metro. I am unlimited text data and voice. I have a 10 gig limit on my hotspot usage a month. I am not driving anymore so this works great for me. I was using Verizon, but I discovered Metro at least for me is clearly superior.

5. keebler13579

keebler13579 Heavy Load Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Use your phone as a hotspot and youll be fine as long as you have the data to use and you are with a good phone provider.

6. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
  7. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Just finished my B. A. I have a Verizon and a T-Mobile phone. Honestly, I could have gotten by with just the latter but having both was great for those rare times when T-Mobile was out. Of course this all depends on where you run. T-Mobile is terrible in Wyoming and Montana for instance.

Aside from that, virtually every truckstop has Wi-Fi. Most are still pretty bad in truck but you could always go inside. To me, the trick to going to school online is to not procrastinate. Don't wait till the last day to do an assignment because eventually you will run into an area where you have no internet.

Finally, unless you are having to stream lectures, you should never run out of Hotspot. I never came close, I might have used a gig on a busy month.

Shock Therapy Thanks this.
  8. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Tmobile . Numbers came out recently and Tmobile was tops in network speed for 4glte . Once all the other companies went unlimited the average network speeds for Verizon and At&t took a huge dip , sprints in last with network speed . Im streaming Ufc in 1080 p on my laptop while surfing the web on my phone no problem . Service area is good , im running out of Tx and run from Arizona up to the Carolinas and back to Tx .

9. Crazytrucker77

Crazytrucker77 Heavy Load Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    I myself use Tmobile and it works pretty good up and down the west coast. I have unlimited data and hotspot but they put a limit on the "high speed" data 10 for the hot spot and 50 for the phone. Once you reach the limit they just slow it down to 512mbs. I can still watch Netflix and youtube at those speeds so I am ok with it.

10. Brotha D

Brotha D Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Verizon here. Hot Spot works great. We haven't paid for internet since switching to Verizon four years ago, takes a little bit of the sting out of our monster phone bill.

11. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I recently went through MT, ND and WY.
    My T-Mobile broadband had a 4G LTE signal all the way through. Sometimes it wasn't very fast, but it was there.
    And that is much better than the roaming crap I've dealt with up until now. I was very surprised at the sudden increase in coverage.

ethos Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.