Mohawk industries

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by canviskiller, Jun 23, 2016.

1. canviskiller

canviskiller Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2013
    texas
    Looking for info on Mohawk industries/dal tile out of Sunnyvale tx,they're hiring and people say to drive for them but no info on here!

Need4Speed Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigJon310

BigJon310 Bobtail Member

May 11, 2011
    Everywhere, USA
    Me too..

canviskiller Thanks this.
  4. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    I started off in the flooring industry 26 years ago. Spent 5 years delivering flooring in a straight truck 10 wheeler before I upgraded to a Class A and been a local driver ever since.

Here's what I know about the flooring industry. It's basically run like LTL. Companies like Shaw Flooring and Mohawk are big in the industry. Back in the days, Daltile was seperate from Mohawk. Usually these big Flooring companies run basically the same way. You deliver to flooring showrooms like Carpet One, commercial and industrial like Home Depot, and residential as well such as construction sites or a do it yourself homeowner. Once you're finished making your deliveries, you may have to do pickups as well, such as picking up Mapei grout. You also may have to do linehaul as well, although I don't really see Mohawk use any doubles like Shaw does, as well as yard jockey. You also have to be forklift certified since you use pole forklifts to unload carpet as well as liftgate experience, and it can be labor intensive at times, all depends on what your job duties are. And you may have to work in the warehouse on slow days. I don't know how much Mohawk pays hourly, but Shaw pays around $25 an hour nowadays. Both jobs you hardly get any OT, so you'll probably average around $55-60k a year and you're home everynight.

Hope this answers any questions.

5. canviskiller

Sep 7, 2013
    texas
    Thank you sho nuff! My main concern is how many hours a day will I be working? It's a sun-Thursday and 3rd shift and home everyday but if I'm working 12-14 hours a day of labor intensive work...I don't see 50k being enough.

JOHNQPUBLIC and Sho Nuff Thank this.
  6. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    3rd shift, sounds like linehaul. I'm not too familiar with linehaul pay, more on P&D. Sorry, but I can't help you out on that. Maybe look up your local Mohawk distribution plant and give them a call, or go there in person and ask.

7. canviskiller

Sep 7, 2013
    texas
    Yeah ill be calling tomorrow and putting the app in tonight. I appreciate the info!

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  8. low boy

low boy Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2013
    They have route caps at 12 hours max

9. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Did you take the job?. Any updates?. Mohawk is hiring locally and I was looking for any current info.

10. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    Mohawk around my area pays around $27 an hour... whether it's shuttle/linehaul or city driver.

You're not gonna get much OT...strictly 8 hours a day, maybe 9-10 on occasions. Probably average around anywhere from $1k - $1300 a week. Weekends off. Practically the same as Shaw Flooring.

Work is identical to LTL. Anybody who's ever delivered flooring knows what a pain in the ### they are. It's all heavy freight. Ceramic tiles, carpets, hardwood, slabs, cement boards, adhesives, etc. HEAVY...HEAVY...HEAVY. Nothing lite about flooring. Probably why they're offering sign on bonuses nowadays.

Unless the customer has a forklift to unload all this crap...you'll be using a pallet jack and a lift gate to make deliveries. Not easy dragging a 4k pound of 16 × 16 ceramic tiles with a pallet jack. Local city drivers will probably average around the same as any other LTL P&D driver...unless you have bulk deliveries. Could be 8...or up to 15 or more stops. Day work.

Linehaul/shuttle drivers work at night...and you probably have to work the docks unloading the freight too. Forklift experience is mandatory. They also have regional runs too...where you're out days at a time.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  11. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I know of someone who just got hired at Shaw locally and starting pay was $23 per hour. I don't know him well enough to have kept in touch to ask how the job is going though. The pay sounded good, but that was before I knew what was involved.

If there is heavy lifting involved I'm out. Pallet jack work I can deal with but I know my back can't manage lifting serious weight.

Thanks, looks like I should pass on Mohawk.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.