Moible Home Toter

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by doglover44, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Triple Threat

Triple Threat Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Thanks Stubby. I'm learning the ways of shack hauling myself and what you say is true. The tires will blow with zero warning.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Stubby T Slapnutt

Stubby T Slapnutt Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2012

Besides the poor quality, they just wisp away like smoke. No noise just gone, and the others soon follow

4. Stubby T Slapnutt

Jul 20, 2012

Go to harbor freight, northern tool, amazon, or eBay. Got you a digital thermometer gun. Shoot center of hubs, and tires every time you stop, you'll see trouble coming

Triple Threat Thanks this.
  5. Getsinyourblood

Getsinyourblood Road Train Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    That's some good posts @Stubby T Slapnutt . I have always thought that mobile home haulers were one of the most underrated truck driver on the road. I always do anything possible to stay out of their way, and not aggravate them. Never heard of a digital thermometer gun, but I have now.

I've seen plenty of mobile homes hauled on holiday weekends with a strong cross wind. Between that and the tires, etc., I don't know how y'all do it. Tip my hat to you.

Edit: And while us dry van haulers complain about parking at truck stops, I have seen some crazy backing of mobile homes into dealer lots.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    Stubby T Slapnutt Thanks this.
  6. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Wait until you need a dozer to get you up or down a hill. Or lifting the home off the ground so that you can move it over 2-4 feet at a time to get around the tree on the corner.

My uncle owned a used and repo lot so I helped set a many homes. He had one driver that would set a double wide no more than an inch separating the halves the entire 70 foot length.

7. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

I don't know where the manufacturer is but I see oversize house haulers all the time in my neck of the woods (rural south eastern PA)

Didn't know the market for them was soft. So if you want to do it you might try calling up around here.

8. Stubby T Slapnutt

Jul 20, 2012
    Freaking crap china bombs, most likely why I dont haul that no more

Attached Files:

Getsinyourblood Thanks this.
  9. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Oddly enough I googled "chop suey leuy tires" and came up with a closed restaurant in UT (same spelling) and a band called Slashed Tires.

Stubby T Slapnutt Thanks this.
  10. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    You have to keep an eye on the tire pressure. Like Stubby said. 3 jacks. The 20 ton jacks from Northern worked good. Air actuated jacking mechanism. Carry some railroad spike plates to put between jack head and frame, this would help prevent the jack from buckling the frame. TO much lifting pressure in one spot.
    If you have to get under the house. Don't stay under the frame or axles. If it comes down you want clearance.
    Doesn't take but a little tap on your back to get paralyzed.
    Before you move a piece. Check tire pressure and put some grease or oil in the axle hubs.
    Carry a bottle like the hub oil in truck stop. I would fill with used motor oil. Fill the hub cap with grease and squirt some oil in the bearing chamber.
    Was talking to a mechanic down in Beaumont, Tx. Boudreaux's Truck and Trailer repair. He was working on a Toter when I was there a couple weeks ago. He might be able to give some direction to equipment.
    Good luck.

11. Stubby T Slapnutt

Jul 20, 2012
    Another reason I don't haul oversize trailers anymore. This was on IH 45 Fairfield, TX. It was a Mobile Modular unit. Half a double wide, they put all setup material and concrete block in one half. They were to #### dumb to figure out weight distribution. Double wide, triple wide, put it all in one unit! Even though I talked to them numerous times, no change in their behavior. Shortly after this fubar, they asked me to haul triple wide, Pasadena, TX. To Conroe, TX. I told them sure, NOTHING INSIDE. They said ok. Went to pick it up, they had loaded all the block and all the furniture in one unit. The weight had collapsed the springs, and the floor joist had pushed into the tires. I said how the hell am I going to move this? Just go slow said there Fleet manger. I lost it, and unloaded on this #######, "the freaking wheels won't roll, and even if it did there will be a total collapse, long before it gets to Conroe. It's like you want me to crash" Unload it or I ain't hauling it. They unloaded. That's when it hit me. I'll soon be out of this business.

Attached Files:

Getsinyourblood Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.