Monroe or Volvo shocks?

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by TheEnglishMan, May 1, 2013.

1. TheEnglishMan

TheEnglishMan Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Just about to spend $4300+ on new drives, so I'm doing the shocks as well. Monroe are gas and Volvo are hydraulic. Monroe $53 & Volvo $94. Which is the better performing shock?. I will pay more for the volvo one if the performance is better and will protect my tires more. I already have the Monroe's on now, but I know they are shot and it's been just about 100k. So Monroe's would be a once a year replacement deal. Will hydraulic give a longer service life?.

I would normally side with the OEM as they have done the R&D on what works best with all the other suspension components.

Thoughts anyone?.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    Split the middle & find someone who sells Gabriel. Bought some Monroes & they have leaked/misted pretty much from the get go. The Gabriel guys said Monroe consolidated their shocks to cover a wider spectrum of units instead of making them a direct replacement. Whether that is the issue or just a bad set am unsure. But Monroe here is $50 flat & the Gabriels are $63 & should be here tomorrow. $74 if you want their adjustable version.

4. TheEnglishMan

Oct 3, 2012
    Went with the Monroe. $53 each incl shipping from these guys....

http://www.stengelbros.net/

i also got the shocks for the sleeper, $34 each.

5. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    EnglishMan, where did you get this price ? 94$ each? for Volvo? I got 2, v.olvo shocks for my steer this week at Volvo in Little Rock,AR for 118$ including taxes(uninstalled).I used Gabriel, imop are the worst quality, i never found Monroe size for 780,but i stick with original Volvo ,are working well and I know when are gone, easy to notice the oil leaking.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  6. TheEnglishMan

Oct 3, 2012
    The steer shocks are cheaper. Spoke to three dealers regarding prices on the drive axles and the range was $94 - $96 a shock plus tax. The Monroe cross ref part# for an 07 780 is 65486. I have the Hendrickson air ride steer axle, so when I do the steers later this year I will go with the volvo shock. Which is actually a Hendrickson shock. I figure the dampening rate needs to be OEM to get the best performance with the air ride front. Plus the cost is just $10 more for the Volvo shock over the Monroe.

The sleeper shock is a Monroe from the factory. OEM direct replacement is part# 66109, price $34. The Volvo part# is 20721254, $73. Both have Monroe stamped on them. One is black and the other is yellow.

7. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    You can go with Gabriel they're just as good as volvo you can also easily tell when one is bad and leaking with Monroe shock you won't be able to tell and when you do replace you're steer hendricksons make sure you replace the bottom shock bolts as well because they tend to get loose if you reuse them and they will mess up the new shock bushings

8. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    Really Volvo makes no Shoks. They use different, generally Saschs. They do rebranding.

hackfallout Thanks this.
  9. TheEnglishMan

Oct 3, 2012
    The Monroe's have already been shipped, so I'll run them this time round. I'll try the Gabriel's next time. Thanks for everyone's input.

10. Jetsr6

Jetsr6 Light Load Member

May 20, 2011
    Mechanicsville, VA
    If you want some really good ones try the RoadKings. Just a bit pricey. :biggrin_2556:

11. TheEnglishMan

Oct 3, 2012
    Read some really mixed reviews on those road kings. Mainly that the customer service completely sucks. Now as we are already driving the best ridding trucks I wonder how much an improvement the road kings would really make. But then again, the best ridding and the best handling are two separate categories.

I'm going to be interested to see how much of a difference the new sleeper shocks will make.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.