Monteagle

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mountainman444, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Geez, correcting yourself? Just don't start talking to yourself!:biggrin_25525:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    You think they would put a blue crab box there. Would be a good place to take a leak.:biggrin_2554:

4. He who is called I am

He who is called I am Medium Load Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Da U P Eh, Michigan

No doubt. not a whole lotta places to relieve yourself from there to chattanooga :biggrin_25525:

5. Peepaw

Peepaw Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Warner Robins, Ga
    The old hand that trained me years ago told me a good thing about coming down grades.

You can come down a steep grade too slow a million times, you can come down too fast one time.

I still have a deep respect for steep grades, seen too much stupid stuff happen to drivers that should have known better.

shriner75 Thanks this.
  6. Sportster2000

Sportster2000 Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Indiana
    So are you obligated to stop at the brake check areas if you are in a semi? What happens if you don't pull into the brake checks areas and you drive right on by?

7. He who is called I am

He who is called I am Medium Load Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Da U P Eh, Michigan
    If the Dot happens to be there as they are sometime they wont be to happy with ya.

8. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Actually the stop is there also to make sure you come to a complete stop so you don't start down the hill in too high of a gear . Speed limit for fully loaded trucks is 45 m.p.h. .
    I saw a post by a guy with a 3/4 ton Dodge pulling 24,000 pounds saying he was able to hold it at 50 m.p.h. going down Monteagle . He got the trailer in Louisville from a friend whose F450 had broken down . The guy was very lucky it was late at night , coops were closed , and no DOT around .

9. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    If you are in a big truck & the sign says that all trucks must exit... Then yes you are obligated to pull in. DOT is not around & you bypass it... Then your OK. But in that area DOT have plenty of spots to hide & view the brake check area. I'm not sure what the fine would be if they catch a person bypassing it... Me personally, it's worth the extra 2 minutes to go in there & out. It's a lot quicker then the 45 minutes that DOT will hold you up with your inspection if you get caught bypassing...

alds Thanks this.
  10. ship71021

ship71021 Medium Load Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Louisiana
    the only dumb question is the one not asked. Us as truckers are learning something new everyday at least I am.I run that area a lot and can tell you that if you listen to what the other drivers have told you you'll be fine.

11. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    :yes2557:What does the sign say before the brake check area? If it says all trucks stop, then stop. If it just says brake check area, but nothing else, use your discretion. But, Pardner, I gotta tell you, descending a 6-7 per cent grade is serious business, especially grossing. It's to your advantage to stop, do a walk around, then proceed with caution. Any truck driver worth his salt will know his equipment and not make assumptions. AND live to be an old man !:biggrin_25520:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.