More stupid broker tricks

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by windsmith, Nov 7, 2012.

1. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    So, I call on a load that picks up 20 miles from me, delivering in Queens, for a total of 100 miles. Pickup and drop today. Rate posted is $600. 19 pallets of rock salt.

I book it. 10 minutes later, broker calls me back, says the shipper doesn't have dock space to load a van today. They can load a flatbed, but not a van. Can't even let me pallet jack the load from the tail. But he does have another load for a total of 300 miles for $425. I quickly decline without even thinking about it. ooookay, I'm looking for another load now.

Same city pair posted by another broker, with no rate listed. I call. Same shipper, same receiver, same commodity, same quantity. $500 is offered. I negotiate $525 and book it. No problems getting loaded, in and out in 30 minutes.

So what happened? Someone screwed up, but how and why?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    Next time that happens say that's ok because I have a flat too and see what response you get.

4. Taildragon

Taildragon Heavy Load Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Very simple, the shipper was told by the second broker that he could get that load covered cheaper, so the shipper calls the first broker back with a story full of smoke and mirrors, the second broker posts the load, and there you are. It might have been interesting if you would have been running team, and when the broker called you back with the story, you could have responded, man that just irritates me, but hold on a minute here, there is a flatbed driver setting here drinking coffee with me, let me see if he is interested.... sometimes also, it isn't uncommon for a shipper to give a broker one hour to move a load, (for example), when the hour is up, the shipper gives the next broker one hour, and so it goes. That area that you are in is a tough nut to crack, always was, always will be, and they pretty much all know each other, there might be a few exceptions, but not many.

aiwiron Thanks this.
  5. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Yep, had a good one today. Myself and another trk. will del. in Tulsa in the morning.
    Agent calls about reloads if we want. Yep sounds good.
    They set the offload time for Sat. Ok good to go.
    Gets the comfirm sheets for Sat. unld. Opps need to unld Fri. by noon now. Nope can't do it. These are Od lds. loading at noon Thurs. going roughly 700 miles.
    Ok we will find other trks. that can do it then. Agent tells them good luck.
    Well as 7pm tonight the loads are still on the board looking for somebody to over night 12' wide lds. 700 miles..

6. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I thought the general rule was overwide loads couldn't run during the night time?

7. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    not LEGALLY :)

8. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Co. you can run night time, But you have to get through Ok. during the day and also Ks. if you run up through there.
    Thing is, I think this was a company that normaly books legal lds.
    Hope they bite the bullet on those lds. There were like 8 of them I believe..

9. fisher guy

fisher guy Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Ocala Florida
    ya O/D loads is a whole different animal

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.