Most drivers making same or less than they did last year

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Rocks, Dec 1, 2020.

1. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    With all of the driver's info available to the company through the ELDs and forward facing cameras, a good manager would weed out the slackers going 10 mph under the limit when conditions didn't call for it. But the hourly paid drivers, wouldn't feel the pressure to run faster that safety allows to make a paycheck. But what do I know. I've never driven hourly and only did CPM for the first 10 months I drove. And that was a long time ago.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Deadwood

Deadwood Heavy Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    And they will be the first to commit to a computer driving model when it becomes available. They’ve got nothing but contempt for their own drivers. Which is why I get confused when I see drivers with 10+ years in here going back to Megas they’ve left before.

I hope they all go bankrupt from the first wave of lawsuits after the attempted switch.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  4. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    I'm not advocating for higher pay so much as I'm advocating for transparency in pay. I think wages will rise as a result of transparency. If as an industry higher compensation is demanded the rates across the board
    would need to rise as well. Just like when fuel goes up it affects everyone.

Just because it would benefit the companies as much or more than the drivers doesn't mean it will ever happen. As a group we seem to prefer to cut off our own noses to spite our own faces.

5. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Transparency you say.. But hey.. accordiing to this article from TTR

"Freight Brokers Claim They Run “One Of The Most Transparent Marketplaces In The World”" :rolleyes:

"The Transportation Intermediaries Association (TIA) has requested that an old regulation attempting to make pricing more transparent should be overturned. Their reason is that the trucking spot market is already transparent enough – even though most freight brokers have been stripping away transparency using restrictive contracts.
    In March and April when the freight market to a nosedive due to the COVID-19 pandemic, some truck drivers claimed that freight brokers were price-gouging by posting rock-bottom rates knowing that many truckers didn’t have any other option. While brokers were being accused of pocking huge amounts in commission, the then-head of the TIA said that the average broker margin is around 16%."

Read the whole article here...

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. scott180

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Transparency in wages is specifically what I was talking about.
    Far too often you hear of a driver sitting for loading/unload, weather, breakdowns and even for a decent load.
    Why is this the only industry that it's legal not to pay an employee? Workers are expected to give their time freely for the benefit of the companies.

40cpm is crap pay. Unless there is additional pay or bonus. You may or may not be making good money. Who the hell knows.
    Hourly would makes sure the driver gets paid a amount that was agreed upon.

Again I'm not advocating for a particular wage just the traditional way of paying employees.

Rocks Thanks this.
  7. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    In Canada truck driver wages have stagnated due to influx of immigrants willing to work for buttons....all thanks to the Trucking associations who have lobbied to bring in cheap foreign labour while claiming driver shortage.

nredfor88, scott180 and LameMule Thank this.
  8. LameMule

LameMule Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
    What would be a good salary?

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  9. scott180

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    That's what's being done here and it's about to get much worse.
    A sudden large influx of legal workers will hurt wages. Illegal workers will flood in to take the jobs of those who become legal. A large surplus worker population will kill the middle class.
    At this point it kinda feel intentional.

Rocks Thanks this.
  10. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I did a lot of sitting being a milk hauler.

They got 2 free hours to load and 2 more to unload.

$20 an hour after that. You better be on time or no detention.

Easiest paycheck I got was my last week working.

8 hours detention getting loaded. 650 miles to haul.

Sat for 2.5 days getting rejected 58 hours detention.

Turned around and hauled the load 650 back.

Took 13 hours to get unloaded.

77 hours detention $1540 plus $585 mileage

Down side is it was summer in Minnesota and Hot. The flies could haul you away.

Upside the A/c never turned off in my 60 inch Western Star sleeper and I had perfect internet to stream movies and enough fresh food onboard to feed an army.

11. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    That's subjective.

I currently make what I feel is fair for a driver of my caliber in my area of the country. No accidents or tickets in 17 years. I get the job done.

And as for transparency, there are contracts out there for certain carriers. Very public information.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.