Most reliable egr engine

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by John Bertucci, Jul 17, 2019.

1. John Bertucci

John Bertucci Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2019
    Posting this because I’m coming to terms with the fact eventually I will have to buy an engine with an egr and the post egr trucks are much cheaper. I have been looking at early egr trucks 03-07 due to simplicity of egr system. Plan to stay clear of 08-11 and the I’m looking at 12-16 engines because I’ve heard that they started getting it right in these years. Only looking at used trucks because I’m not paying that kinda money for a truck.

Thanks for reading

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
  4. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    So if you have money to throw away on an EGR engine, why can't you buy an non EGR truck???
    I don't understand.

5. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    If you’re not planning to run into Commiefornia why would you waste your money on a Post-Emission truck?

John Bertucci Thanks this.
  6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    If your getting an emissions truck you want the newest year you can afford like anything 2014 and up. You know how trouble the first several generation were. I would say get DD15. Volvo had trouble with EGR. Cummins had oil starvation and the top cams on engine would go out. Cummins would never admit something was wrong. Even Detroit Diesel had trouble with DEF systembecause they were using an air pump. That got the air from truck air tanks. That was bad idea when oil and water and rust was pumped into the DEF system.

Their are all kinds of problems that have fixed from the now older emissions engines.

7. Intothesunset

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    Is this a loan approval type situation?
    If I don't play that game. If you have cash buy an remanufactured trouble free engine. In a older truck.

8. John Bertucci

John Bertucci Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2019
    This is a hypothetical question, I feel uncomfortable with the emissions systems in today’s truck and I know I’m not the only one. But it would be nice to have something newer with the creature comforts of today’s trucks and gliders are extremely expensive compared to same year trucks with the emissions engines so I figured if I could become comfortable with the emissions equipment and familiarize myself with how to prevent them from costing me a huge sum of money then I can get behind the wheel of a newer truck. But the repair bill for emissions equipment that could fail me potentially costing around 20k not to mention down time costing extra money that I’m not making is what scares me. So I wanted some advice about newer engines. But now I’m thinking screw it take the 20k that you save not repairing emissions equipment and invest it into a reliable pre egr truck. I have 40k to buy a new to me used truck. I want to do OTR with my wife who is getting her cdl so she can help us make more money while she rides with me, and I want it to be comfortable for her so she will enjoy riding in the truck instead of get burnt out on it after a few months.

9. Intothesunset

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    Nothing so advanced on new trucks except Apu and electric inverters, and outlets galore. How much does it cost to wire outlets, or hook an sinewave inverter, Air ride is nice but last I check most cars don't have it, nor do dump trucks for the majority.

I may be bias, I want a CABOVER.

10. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I've been curious about this too. To buy pre emissions means buying a 17 year old truck at the newest. I get so tired of piddling on my old truck all the time I sometimes look at used truck around 100,000 miles and think that would be the way to go. Nothing older than a 15.

On the other hand, I piddle around and constantly have stuff that needs to be done, but I rarely spend over a few hundred bucks a month on parts and am able to do most of my work myself. A new emissions truck that gave me trouble would probably put me out of business. A one man show just can't afford weeks in the shop and thousands in repairs.

Gliders like you say are outrageously high. Plus I have a friend who bought a Pete 389, upgraded to a 3406E cat motor, and by 30,000 miles the motor had serious oil leaks and had to be gone into. The mechanic said the head gasket wasn't even new. That's even bought brand new from Fitzgerald with all the bells and whistles and upgrades.

No Oldeskool, you can't afford a glider for sure. Especially if that's the kind of mechanics overhauling them.

My dream is to buy an old truck with a big cam cummins. It will be a continuous project/money pit, but those motors are simple. I could overhaul it myself. A rebuild is very cheap. It will probly drink fuel, but it won't have electronic garbage malfunctions either. Derating along the road is no fun.

My thinking is, the old trucks are tried and true. The new emissions are tried and true garbage. An old truck may take upkeep and I get tired of working on it on the weekends, but anything that happens can be fixed soon for under $15,000 and it won't put me out of business.

Ya that may be confusing, but that's how my mind goes when I think of getting my next truck.

11. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I apologize for my long post and afterwards I realized I never answered the question you asked.

I can't say from personal experience, but I have extensively researched the new emissions engines and the X15 cummins would be my first choice followed by a MX13 Paccar. I guess Detroit would be next.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.