Motorcycle drafting

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by SteveK, Feb 4, 2023.

1. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    We should have a regular motorcycle thread, I definitely have the 2 wheeled disease, had it all my life. Worked as a mechanic up to mid 80's in a Yamaha, Kawasaki dealership. Got tired of being laid off every winter.
    I ALWAYS have a shop full of bikes iv various States of rebuild, restore etc.
    Most fun you can have with your clothes on...
    Most of my current stable..
    I also have an 81 kz750 that's apart now, engine getting a refresh and building a "street tracker" out of it.
    20161008_170816.jpg 20190601_171651.jpg 20191116_155142.jpg 20160828_164425.jpg 20150927_204603.jpg IMG_0032.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The Railsplitter

The Railsplitter Medium Load Member

Jan 23, 2023
    "BFE... and lovin' it!"
    Yeah, there ought to be a regular cycle thread, enough truckers ride bikes... those are some sweet old Kawis in that last post, lol. Moi, I'm riding that KLR 650 you see in my avatar, but that's just one in a lonnnng line of bikes. I was thinking of riding manana, since the weather is nice, but there's a high wind advisory, so I might wait until Friday. Up in those twisties in the mountains, sudden gusts are unappreciated, lol. We have some great riding in the Sacramentos, lots of nice dirt trails and some bad boy twisties & chicanes on pavement... gotta watch the wildlife though, there's plenty of it in the hills (which rise to roughly 9700' elevation, nearby Sierra Blanca is approximately 12000' elevation). Here's a link to local riding pics in case anybody is planning a vacation out this way in the warmer months... temps are 20 degrees cooler up in the hills, compared to down here in the high desert, which makes for cooler rides as one heads for higher ground to beat the summer heat. Kinds like the "sky islands" in Arizona, same principle... but it works both ways, and it's 20 degrees colder in the winter, plus there's more likelihood of snow & ice on shady curves in the mountain forests. o_O

homesteadingforum.org/threads/riding-the-modified-klr-650-in-the-sacramento-mountains-of-new-mexico.16884/

P.S. When I'm on pavement and I can see there's no oncoming traffic, I disregard the double yellow and use the entire road in the curves... but only when there's no traffic whatsoever, lol. Traffic is light in the mountains, except during summer and especially on weekends, which is why I like riding during the week... not as many folks flock to the Sacramentos as they do to the White Mountains of Arizona, but you'll see plenty of RVs on summer weekends, and I suppose the RV parks also fill up for the warmer months. Meh, ya can't blame 'em for securing a nice spot up in the mountains, the weather is mighty pleasant during late spring, summer & fall. I just ride during the week, since my schedule is wide open... but traffic is still pretty light compared to other areas. Nothing like traffic in the ranges of Kalifornia, lol. Suits me just fine... :rolleyes:

SteveK and Elroythekid Thank this.
  4. SteveK

SteveK Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2023
    I'm not a trucker but if you want a moto thread here I'm happy to join up. This is an excellent and active community.

The Railsplitter and Elroythekid Thank this.
  5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    The Railsplitter Thanks this.
  6. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    I Love my Rocker but I’m buying a Street Glide next. I’m ready for some longer trips.

C2F93F78-D90F-4328-813B-CA44A5E6F801.jpeg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.