Mountain/Hill Driving

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by farmerjohn64, Dec 9, 2019.

1. n-p-a

n-p-a Bobtail Member

Nov 17, 2019
    I was trained when the road is wet, curvy and downhill, no jake brake, you may downshift, like others have said watch rpm.

farmerjohn64 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Going across either i40 or i26.

If you’re going across 40, you will hit the Green River Gorge. Turn the engine fan on ( it comes on automatically, but you can flip the switch and make it stay in during your climb). Keep your rpms above 1300. If the weight of the rig drags your rooms down, downshift to a lower gear. As you are climbing, if you watch the eastbound side, you will see a cop waiting to write tickets to trucks who don’t follow the truck rules. And you will smell brakes burning.

Top of the hill, stay in the same gear. Switch the jake on full power. The jake works bests in higher rpm range (over 1700-1800 rpm). There is a weigh station when you pass the i26 junction. Be wary. There’s plenty of truck speed and lane restrictions and seemingly hundreds of tight turns. Too fast will shift your load. Shifting the load can lead to a rollover.

If you’re running i26, once you pass i40, there is a big drop with 3 or 4 runaway truck ramps. Gear down to where you will run the truck speed limit at 1500-1700 rpm. If the weight of the truck is too much for the jake to maintain speed control, downshift. If you cook the brakes, you fail. There will be trucks flying past you. Ignore them. You will see trucks hitting those truck ramps in dramatic fashion and you will see lots of smoke and burning brakes. Should be quite educational.

4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Say hello to Monteagle Hill, oh, Johnny, where are you now? "Watch out for Monteagle"

FlaSwampRat, farmerjohn64 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    sounds about right

FlaSwampRat, farmerjohn64 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. farmerjohn64

farmerjohn64 Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Thanks for the advice and I meant my trainee and instructor

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. farmerjohn64

farmerjohn64 Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Our truck is an automatic, but good advice nevertheless

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    You can still dowshift for better control.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    farmerjohn64 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Surveyed the Luke Maryland Downgrade. About 4 miles and change.

I am not sure of memory but there used to be a sign that said truckers ditch it if runaway.

Not every cross has a name, about a dozen or so do.

end of downgrade at Luke Md
    Google Maps

Approximately a mile long ramp seperate from road. This spot is about 2400 feet above the final pull off spot to check brakes to all trucks without exception.

Beyond that spot you are about a mile and half to the bottom with a truck speed limit of ten mph and absolute orders to use lowest gear. I don't recall what a redlined granny low will give you but cannot be more than crawling pace.

Google Maps

Half a mile above the escape ramp, state speed limit for truck is 10 mph on this road. We are almost 3 miles above the bottom crosses here.

Google Maps

Dual Signs proclaim 9% grade next three miles. I thought it was around 10% or so when I surveyed this road.

Google Maps

Grooves are cut into center, approximately 1200 feet above 3 mile brake check shoulder pull off. Its apparently a dead area only doing one or two trucks now and then. Be quiet enough to build a home up here on this hill. Crime would be impossible. Either with a .30-.06 to take out those too tired to run anymore and a big super to stop those inside the broken door.

Google Maps

4 miles from the bottom, they build this pretty sign. I suppose when it's flashing someone is having a difficult day.

Google Maps

Car Speed 50 mph, oh the glorious ride. Trucks split speed 10 mph, oh the killing and slaughter...

Google Maps

9% next 4 miles. I had added to five but oh well. Still uphill looking for the gap (Summit, top, pass etc)

Google Maps

Little tiny brake Check number three just around the trees after this 50-10 sign. Still downhill 9%

Google Maps

farmerjohn64 Thanks this.
  10. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Those mountains out east are joke really . made me laugh the first time i went down mont eagle and had to come to a stop and read all the signs. Was figuring it was a pretty big hilll, by the time i reached the bottom , i said " thats it?!?" what a joke lol well i guess no matter which mountain it is it can and will sneak up on u and tske u out if ur not careful

x1Heavy, 201 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  11. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Trucking isnt about the need to break the sound barrier. It is merely the need to get there on time.
    Standard rule of thumb says When you climb the hill. Remember what gear you used. As on the backside you will need to be in the gear lower.
    IE you climbed the hill in ninth gear (10 speed) at the top of the hill before descending you will want to decelerate and get into 8th gear. Remember only to snub the speed. When the truck speeds to 45, lightly set the brakes to 40 and release (if in 8th gear)

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.