Mounting antenna on Cascadia

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by OldeSkool, Jun 25, 2020.

1. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I know most Cascadias antennas are mounted to the mirror (which looks cheesy because there is no top supporting bar) but I was wondering if there is a different way that would work.

My two ideas are either mount it on the horizontal grab bar on back of the sleeper that the air lines hang on, or just buy a magnetic base antenna and put it on the roof. Any ideas are appreciated. I was thinking of a Little Wil antenna if I go the magnetic mount. I know they used to be good anyway, not sure if they still are.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    You can mount the ant on the grab rail and the swr might even be ok...More to it than that though..
    You will have so much reflect and you will loose alot of possible range...
    Its likely a mag mount may not work on the roof unless its all metal and i think they are fibreglass...
    Lil weeeeee...Lets just say you get what you pay for..

My suggestion is mirror arm..

Unless you wanna rig up something that can connect 2 ant together via a wide metal bar,Bolt that bar to back cab wall so that both ant stick out both sides of rear cab flairings by 6"..Then you will need a co phased coax for that..

OldeSkool Thanks this.
  4. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    Mine is mounted on that bar for now. It's not optimal, but it's better than the factory. Get a top loaded antenna if you go that route.

OldeSkool Thanks this.
  5. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Crude.....The cascadia bracket does not do anything re the trucks looks..Doesnt hurt anything what so ever...You can run coax and power and not cut a thing...I have some vids on youtube re all this..
    The bracket is bolt on and unbolt no cuttin or anything so it will not hurt the truck in any way..
    Just be sure to do some bonding between the hinges..Connecting door side of hinge to cab side..
    You will see a huge rec/tx by haven it on the door vs back of the cab..
    Prob on back of the cab is reflect and the ant will barely reach over the back of the cab roof before your gettin over the 13'6" mark....Cant really lean ant much before the tip either gets to low or hangs up on the trk if you pull a dry box/reefer..

DaNerkey, OldeSkool and Crude Truckin' Thank this.
  6. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Top loaded should be the 1st choice all the time unless you go with a 102/108

Crude Truckin' Thanks this.
  7. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    I had mine on the door, but I didnt have a long enough antenna. Had it leaned forward to help with reflected power. Moved it to the back as an experiment. I haven't experimented since (lazy), lol! I'll try moving it back to the door, do some proper bonding, someday. I wanna get my new ham shack set up at my house this summer and that's what my sights are on.

OldeSkool Thanks this.
  8. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    Sounds like a mirror is my best bet whether i like it or not. Do you have a preference of driver or passenger side?

9. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Oldskool.....Drivers side..Pass side is likely to hit trees n such..

OldeSkool Thanks this.
  10. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    I have some youtube vids up,same name as here..

OldeSkool Thanks this.
  11. vlad_k

vlad_k Bobtail Member

May 5, 2019
    OldeSkool Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.