Mounting generator/ exhausting the fumes?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dino soar, Sep 16, 2021.

1. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    It is grounded to trailer

I just run an heavy duty extension cord up left side to catwalk and then over to right window. I don’t let it touch the ground and it is protected even in the rain from trailer overhang. I use a 3 prong generator style plug.

I currently stick a 5000 cfm window unit in the window but thinking hard about a rooftop. I really only plug the AC in if I am taking a 10 or 34 and for a few minutes a hot water kettle for coffee. It is hard to cool the sleeper in the dead heat of summer but with a dc fan it will blow the cold air back and works. I often have to turn it off in middle of night because it will get cold.

In winter I have a small space heater and the thing will roast me out. I can use a smaller 2200 Yamaha for that and I will remove the Honda and I can fit the yammy in the headache rack and pull it out when I use it.

One day I’ll either throw an APU or onan diesel gen on there for now it works so I do t idle all the time.

I have an 1800 watt inverter I’ll use occasionally but my batts have no issues staying charged overnight without trying to tie in gen etc. that is with inverter on and 47 qt cooler running and dash cam. Not a heavy load on system.

Also, this was Blair’s old trailer so he had the gen mount installed and kept a gen on it as well when he first started on his own before he got the big black super sleeper.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
  4. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    Nice setup there!

5. ready2truck

ready2truck Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2020
    Carbon monoxide poisoning. lol

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. razor1983

razor1983 Medium Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Im thinking of doing mine this way.
    Do you have a heat shield on the exhaust or problems with the heat damaging truck paint?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. razor1983

Jan 17, 2011
    Im thinking of doing mine this way.
    Do you have a heat shield on the exhaust or problems with the heat damaging truck paint?

8. lilillill

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    APU's suck compared to a generator + mini-split AC.

I had a TK APU on my old truck. When I bought my new truck, I was all prepared to spend the $12k on a new TK unit, except, there were none to be had... anywhere.

I had limited time to come up with a solution and absolutely had to have backup AC for my geriatric old dog that rode with me. Hence, the generator and mini-split.

It's now almost three years of using it and the performance in extremely hot weather blows an APU out of the water.

Even the heat mode is better. The old Espar unit had two heat settings

1. Please work, I'm freezing... ####!!!
    2. Cook a Thanksgiving turkey.

More often than not, setting one was the only one that worked.

The only thing that sucks with the cheap route is, going to get gas in the rain/cold and dealing with exhaust fumes. If I could find a decent diesel generator that didn't weigh 12,000 lbs., I'd get one.

Dino soar, JoeyJunk, Tug Toy and 3 others Thank this.
  9. lilillill

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    1CEC7352-26E2-4A8D-883F-D0D68158CEAC.jpeg
    The exhaust setup with my old generator. The new honda is basically the same. Espar flex pipe to a piece of 3/4" steel conduit that is hose clamped to the truck's exhaust stack.

10. razor1983

Jan 17, 2011
    oooh good idea!

11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’ll say it again. That’s the best set up I’ve seen. Good work.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.