Move west young man.....(a little long)

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by FredZeppelin77, Dec 29, 2019.

1. FredZeppelin77

FredZeppelin77 Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2013
    Floridian panhandler
    Good info, thanks. When you moved there originally, did you go straight to Clovis? -- I've contacted Indian River as they have a terminal in Clovis, and they can work with me, but they won't budge on the 2 year requirement.- so a no go at the moment.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Western Dairy Transport and Dairy Farmers of America might hire you in New Mexico and other Southwestern states.

4. CK73

CK73 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Another option is go to work for a mega OTR where a driver can request home time almost anywhere in the nation, try it for a few months.

At Swift, with 40 terminals, each one having a contract with local hotels, I could have not only passed through 42 of the lower 48, but had time to explore some of these nice places we are talking about 2-3 days at a time for under $50 per night. Get paid to explore and decide where you want to live first hand?

Selva, Chinatown and dwells40 Thank this.
  5. The Kraut

The Kraut Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Land of Enchantment
    I moved from NV to New Mexico 3.5 years ago, don't regret it. Too hot in NV, if you want to do any work outside in the summer, it must be done before 9AM , later it's too hot.
    As an OTR driver, it wasn't a problem, my company approved my move, they just said, 150 miles around Albuquerque.
    Two years ago I bought a house 40 miles east of Albuquerque in the prairie, affordable, 2200 sqft, 40 acre property, $215,000.
    Next neighbor about 400 yards away, the others far away I never see, love it. Loudest noises are the wind and the birds, no railway, no airplanes!
    Local jobs suck, so I stayed OTR, switched companies in September, no problem at all to get me home.
    I'm on a four week on, one full week off schedule and I like it.
    I'm usually in ABQ once in a month for some shopping, don't need to go there more often.
    Weather, you have four seasons, not too hot in summer, not too cold in winter, ok, some snow but usually it's gone after 2-3 days, elevation is 6500 ft.
    Crime in ABQ is high, I wouldn't recommend it to live there, here in the country it's minimal.
    Love it here!!

dwells40 and FredZeppelin77 Thank this.
  6. CK73

CK73 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    You know NM is poor because the richest man is Mac Chase with "Only" 250 million net worth. Mac is a relative BTW, brother in law to my Grandfather's Niece. I tried to get a job with him a decade ago in Artesia, but he had sold all of the oil interests and got into pecans,, yeah pecans.

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  7. FredZeppelin77

FredZeppelin77 Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2013
    Floridian panhandler

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I stopped at Taco Bell on the way home for dinner.

I do that when I get home late. Various fast food.

The usual meal cost me $2.15 MORE. And we haven't even raised wages.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    CK73 Thanks this.
  9. CK73

CK73 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Taco bell is a Godsend after passing through 900 subways.

snowwy Thanks this.
  10. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Yes. Took a hiring bonus with Ruan and did milk with them for about three years until some horse doodie got me canned from there in 2015. Went with IRT relatively a month later in that same year and have been shuttling trailers back and forth between various, regional plants since. Interesting that they're not budging with the two year thing. I'd thought they were hard up for long haul people at the moment what with all the periods where we get loaded up with HEB's and juice/veg oil/yeast relays sitting in the yard.

FredZeppelin77 Thanks this.
  11. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Nuts and beef seem to have existed in this state longer than the dairies that have popped up in the last 20-40 years. To me, they seem to be better managers/users of the limited water resources in the area.

CK73 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.