Moving heavy freight with pallet truck

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by kilroy2963, Sep 11, 2014.

1. kilroy2963

kilroy2963 Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2008
    I currently work for a LTL freight company and was injured moving pallets that weighed over 2500 lbs. While trying to pull these pallets back, which took tremendous strain, I ended up partially tearing several ligaments in my wrist. A number of drivers have asked to get electric pallet trucks, but so far they just have excuses as to why they don't. Im looking to go back to work very soon, and I'm wondering the best way how to handle this type of situation. A number of people have said moving that kind of heavy freight with a manual pump jack is ridiculous, but my company expects it, especially if your a bigger guy they think you should have no problems moving it. My thoughts are that if I can't move the freight safely, then to document that I can't safely move the freight without risk of injury in the qualcomm, take some pictures of the freight and bill and bring it back if need be. I cant afford to be injured again, nor can I afford to be permanently injured where it will affect my career. Any thoughts on this would be very helpful.

Big Don Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. carl320

carl320 Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Somewhere, IN
    The first thing I can think of is get a good pallet jack. Where I work it's a chore since other earlier starting drivers weed through them to get the good ones. Another thing you can do is when you finish at a stop, see if they would be able to move the heavy skid or two to the back, if your next stop doesn't have a dock. It doesn't help when there are more than two, but that might be two less that you don't have to move.

kilroy2963 and Big Don Thank this.
  4. the machinist

the machinist Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Try go use a tow motor when you can. I know sometimes you can't always get them into the box trucks.
    Another way to do it is get a strap and attach it to the town motor and the skid and pull the skid to
    The edge of the back of the truck and then you can get at it with the tow motor.
    Don't know if this helps your situation, sometimes those skids are just too heavy for the pallet jacks.

Big Don and kilroy2963 Thank this.
  5. kilroy2963

kilroy2963 Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2008
    The pallet jacks they provide are pretty good, Crowns. Problem is sometimes the pallets are in poor shape or its just too #### heavy!! We do rock salt lightgate deliveries during the winter, which are extremely tough, no dock, customers don't want to help, snow and ice, etc!! I have been to places before though where we did use a long chain with a clamp and pull the freight back, not everyplace has them though. Having another customer at a dock stop pull it back though is a good idea also and I have done that before. Sometimes though there is no alternative but to move it with a pallet jack, and I just will refuse to do it if I think Im going to get hurt. Seems to me a lot of these companies are penny wise and dollar foolish, there is no reason why they cant provide some electric pallet jacks.

6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi kilroy, boy, I hear ya, I used to have to unload pallets of cheese and butter, and some of those were over a ton too. (and people wonder why I have a bad back now at 60). Like carl sez, I've had previous stops bring heavy pallets to the back, and put a load bar behind them, another thing, is make sure the rollers and wheels of your pallet jack are greased and move freely, no strings or pieces of shrink wrapped wound around them. I tried for electric pallet jacks too, but that brings up repair issues and batteries that companies don't want to deal with. Like you say, penny wise and dollar foolish. BTW, I don't know how old you are, but make no mistake, those injuries and pulling heavy pallets comes back to haunt you!!!

7. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Two come to mind&I do both...and u probably won't like the first.
    Break down pallet&use a handtruck to get it to tail.
    I carry a 50' 10k rated strap&couple meat hooks&chain....hook to forklift pullback to tail...
    or get REAL CREATIVE hook to pallet...tie off on cement base of light pole etc......pull forward till pallet at tail....helps to have a spotter
    Course won't be thev1st time tell the kid unloadin at stop to get his fat lazy ### up here&help me push.....i can get away w/that at my age....lol

8. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    You do not have to do anything that is dangerous to you or somene else. F I would not unload something I consider dangerous.

snowlauncher and kilroy2963 Thank this.
  9. TracyN

TracyN Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Texas
    How did you end up tearing your ligaments? Were you at an angle where you were parked and trying to pull it uphill? I did local delivery for two years in a straight truck. One of our customers, a hospital, had a dock that when you backed up to it, you had to pull the pallets out uphill. It was a pain! Usually one of the guys in receiving had to help me. I would pull the pallet and he would be on the other side pushing. Once it was on level ground it was a piece of cake. It was just a matter of getting it out of the truck. We also would deliver those pallets of water softeners (salt pellets) and I would regularly have pallets with four 55 gallon drums on them. I never had problems with the pallet jacks UNLESS I was having to pull one uphill. Then it was a PITA!

kilroy2963 Thanks this.
  10. dave223

dave223 Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2012
    vancouver island
    One other thing that wasn't mentioned; find a down-grade and move the pallets to the back, secure it, carry on.
    Full skids of coconut water used to infuriate me. Always an uphill battle, no pun intended.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
    kilroy2963 Thanks this.
  11. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi Tracy, an uphill dock? I can say in all my years, I don't remember too many uphill ones. Those steep downhill ones can be pretty tense. Many times, the pallet started to gain speed, and I had to drop the pallet. Man, I don't miss that crap at all.

Hammer166 and Big Don Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.