Moving to Texas this Fall.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Kingty9183, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    I wouldn't count on Stevens transport in the oilfield
    For nothing.
    They just shut down there whole tanker division
    Out there.
    There frac sand is next.

austinmike and 88228822 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    There's towns in Texas bigger than Connecticut.
    I'm from jersey, I know exactly how you feel.
    Moved to Texas 15 years ago.
    Best thing I ever done.

I wont ever live north of I-40 again.
    Unless it's Las Vegas.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Here in Arkansas for about 6 weeks going into August you do nothing outside. Some years we topped 130 in the shade. We had a 16 seer central air backed by a three ton against a 1500 sqfeet house and it did good. (It had better...)

I remember many weeks in Texas 100F and not a rain anywhere. It's not a problem when you adapt to it well.

Now if I want to remember how people complained how hot it was in Maryland...

5. Kingty9183

Kingty9183 Light Load Member

Jul 19, 2019
    Connecticut
    Exactly glad u know where I'm.coming from. I was born in the Bronx raised in CT.with the weather and crazy laws and high cost of living the South seems like the place to be.

austinmike Thanks this.
  6. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Did you grow up in CT? The Northeast is very dense compared to West Texas (or anywhere in Texas other than the big cities, for that matter).

I grew up in Arkansas, the whole state has a population of 3 million, and West Texas seems sparse by comparison. You are going from one extreme to the other. An actual city in the South is probably a better bet FOR YOU (I understand that you have a lady you are taking into consideration). Most of West Texas there's just NOTHING there...

Kingty9183 and austinmike Thank this.
  7. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Then there’s this -

AA83F173-ED36-47D6-BA0C-6C8D358197A9.jpeg

8. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    My partner and I do not like driving up there because everything is expensive in New England.

Go over to the oil field section in these forums and spend some time reading over there.

Theres stuff to know about midland/Odessa. Like it always stinks like really bad. I drove through there overnight and the smell woke my partner up from sleeping. Its really strong.

Its expensive to live there also because of theres so much oil field work going on. Its hard to find even a motel room sometimes. Bed bugs are a problem.

I used to work for the state and I have heard the stories. State employees dont like going down there because of all the growing pains. Its a rat race.

Some oil field companies will have an onsite dorm room you can sleep in. You could also do like a camper or something.

Youll figure it out I am sure with a bit of research and planning. Lots of people do it.

Western flyer Thanks this.
  9. Kingty9183

Kingty9183 Light Load Member

Jul 19, 2019
    Connecticut
    Living situation isn't an issue my girlfriend lives with her sister a about 1.5 acres. But yea I saw rents are astronomical compared to other parts of texas

TravR1 Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    What's your opinion of Telegraph, Texas?
    Looks like a quiet, laid back, little town.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.