MPG without a trailor attached?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by doittoit, Aug 16, 2013.

1. doittoit

doittoit Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2013
    How many miles per gallon do you get when you're not hauling anything, and what kind do you drive?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. deskdriver

deskdriver Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Michigan
    there is much more money to be made if you pull a trailer :biggrin_25523:

Puppage, Semi Crazy, rjones56 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    mine gets almost 11mpg bobtail flattop fld 120 with a 60s detroit

5. luvtotruck

luvtotruck Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Phoenix Arizona
    Hmmm First post! I am sure they will get better, These trucks were built to haul weight and to pull a trailer, They don't do much better and it cost someone money to move them without a trailer behind them, Because the revenue is gained by hauling freight, No one plans to run very far Bobtail., My wife followed me home one time without my trailer I had to do some work to the truck so I bobtailed home, she said "It is Uglier without the trailer" I said yeah because it isn't making money just spending it. Good Luck, there is a wealth of knowledge to gain here.

6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I have only bob tailed far enough to do a pump to pump measurement once, and that time I got just over 11.6mpg.
    however I do dead head empty often enough, pulling a skateboard i get 8.7, which is ridiculously low in my opinion. I really got to invest more time and effort into getting better fuel economy.

7. Ezrider_48501

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    every time i think ill save money by dropping my trailer where i think im going to need to be and bob tailing home its screwed me only to have to drive 50-100 miles in the wrong direction to get my trailer to go some place else. so i don't bobtail much anymore. keep the truck near my trailer cause just when you think you got a plan that plan seems to change. seems i drop the trailer to grease the 5th wheel more than anything else.

8. deskdriver

Aug 6, 2013
    Michigan
    I did miss that it was the first post, Thank you for pointing it out. Wasn't trying to me mean in any way, just a little razzing. To the OP, Welcome to the Forum and the industry. As stated above bobtailing is simply an expense to the owner of the truck although it can not be totally avoided try to keep it to a minimum. Also if you are just getting your license please be cautious the first few times bobtailng to get the feel of the truck. They are made to have weight on them and when there is non it is easy for the rearend to come around on you during hard brakeing situations escpecially in rain or snow. Good luck with your new career and be safe out there.

9. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2009
    virginia beach, virginia
    Almost needed an underwear change first bobtail in the rain. Ain't gonna do that again!

10. Ezrider_48501

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    if you think bobtailing in the rain is bad try freezing rain, turning to snow about 1" solid ice on the road and wet snow starting to fall by the time i got where i was going just about needed a tow truck to remove the seat cushion.

11. deskdriver

Aug 6, 2013
    Michigan
    :biggrin_25523: thats one way to put it, lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.