mr.cb oak grove mo

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by kg759, Mar 12, 2012.

1. kg759

kg759 Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2012
    lake ozark mo
    I just wanted to get the word out that Mr.Cb at the Petro in Oak Grove Mo, is the last place to stop and have any work done.
    1 I been looking for a Predator antenna and after talking to Kale the maker of this great product, I was told he had a few, so I went a bought one from Mr.Cb after paying $89. He took 8 and half inches off of whip before even checking swr then had his buddie charge me $10 to go to my truck and check them, then told me I was good, no I don't play that way, I wanted to see the meter. He had me at 2.5 so I said go lower so he then had me go cut off 2 more inches myself and then said I was should be:biggrin_25510:I good. Well guess what I'm now 3.5 and higher on all chs.
    Talked to Kale and said he cut way to much off to start with, so now Kale has to send me a new stinger, so pass it on don't go through what I have done in the last 2 weeks, we don't need ppl like this.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mslashbar

mslashbar Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2009
    elizabeth,co
    Kale is great. I bought a single coil Predator from Sparkys, told him it was for a 379 Pete, said it was perfect for it. Got it and it was way to tall, Kale said Sparkys should have sold me a double coil instead of the single coil. Kale sent me another short coil to add to the antenna, got the swr's set and it's great. Kale never charged anything for the short coil or shipping. Great guy to do business with.

4. country29

country29 Medium Load Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Arkansas
    yep kale is a good guy, with any whip antenna you see what you got before you go cutting the whip, shouldnt have had to cut more 3-4" off the whip to be good

5. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    The real Mr. CB passed away a few year ago, in Texas.

6. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Where you live you need to be using Jim at Hood's Truck Stop, or if you come south on 65 into Arkansas, PM me and I'll direct you to one of the best.

7. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    A few years back, I asked Mr. CB to drop the deadkey in my radio so I could run a linear. Long story short Mr. CB screwed up my radio and made it sound like crap. Every report before the radio was opened was good, and every report after it was opened was bad. I get it home and opened it up...low and behold the modulation limiter diode was cut.

I confronted Jim Holzbaur, the current hacknician, about it. In a few short words, he tried feeding me a line of "Oh that's the only way you can drop the deadkey on a Uniden PC66 (Cobra 25) radio." I call b.s on this.

The sad thing is I used to hear a lot of truckers praise this place. Apparently there used to be a guy named Dave Stevenson that was supposedly good. Then for whatever reason, Dave left and Jim took over.

Also anything Mr. CB sells is way overpriced. A new Connex 3300 is well over $300. (Yes Mr. CB does indeed sell exports) That might be ok if you're OTR and your radio blows up and you need/want one on the spot. But if you can, buy online. Heck even some of the CB stuff downstairs on the shelf in the Oak Grove Petro is the same stuff Jim is selling, yet cheaper.

8. Heart of Dixie

Heart of Dixie Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Chelsea, Alabama
    Mr. CB peaked and tuned my radio last month, now it will not receive unless the sender is within sight. It was time to buy a new radio anyway.

9. mike5511

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    It's not your radio, if it's a pretty good model, I'd just send it to a good tech.

Heart of Dixie Thanks this.
  10. Heart of Dixie

Heart of Dixie Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Chelsea, Alabama
    Mike 5511,
    When I realized the problem I stopped at the Petro in Kingdom City to have it looked at again, but the CB shop there had closed. I replaced: the coax with Wilson 50 ohm, checked the ground @ the antenna mount and replaced the antenna with a 5.5' Francis. The unit is a seven year old Radio Shack version of a Cobra 29. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

11. mike5511

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I'm not real high on Radio Shack radios. Sounds like the tweaknician who "tuned" it was incompetent. I know where you can get it re-tuned correctly for about 20-25 bucks. You just have to decide how much money you want to put into this radio. If it was a real Cobra 29, I would have it re-tuned, since it is a Radio Shack version, I'm not sure I would spend anymore money on it.......it would depend on how well I liked the radio to begin with.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.