Mud Flap hanger question

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by gekko1323, Apr 14, 2024.

1. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Measure and cut the mud flaps. The angle ones are best because if your ever slid way underneath the trailer and you come across a steep driveway, the standard ones will get caught on the landing gear possibly, the angle ones WON’T.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Most mudflaps I've driven weren't that style.

A bracket on the frame with 1 inch square steel bar is what I've had. One end is angled 90* and slides inside the bracket with one them curvy cotter pins that keeps it from bouncing up and out.

4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    The trick to removing and installing the spring loaded ones is to twist the bracket before removing. Everything stays intact. New ones will come that way. Mount them and give it a twist. If you have one with a broken spring and want to replace it, make 1 good one out of 2, or lose the spring inside by mistake. Take bolt off if needed to hook new spring to. Using a winch feed the spring into the hanger, Install the bolt and nut, and stretch the spring far enough to hook the u bolt type bracket. Stay out of the way of the spring. Lol. They can be fixed. My u bolts are worn on both. They can be replaced. No need to weld like original.

gekko1323 Thanks this.
  5. gekko1323

gekko1323 Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    I think I'm just gonna go old school. I don't have time to fuss about minor things. If I want to makeover the truck in the future then maybe upgrade things a bit.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. gekko1323

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    I don't know if I want to cut the mudflaps. Mine have a nice graphic on them and it would be a shame to cut into them.

Diesel Dave and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    The bolt holes were torched out because those light bar hangers have a different bolt spread then the Betts style oe uses. Usually 2-1/2” vs. 2” some are even close to 3”.
    The bracket you left bolted on is part of the hanger and stays with hanger. Just scrap it. If you were to get new light bar style like you took off that bolt plate “bracket” will already be part of the new assembly.

Rideandrepair and gekko1323 Thank this.
  8. gekko1323

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    Are you referring to the distance between the holes on the frame?

Rideandrepair and SmallPackage Thank this.
  9. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Yes. Look at all the pictures of the hangers posted in this thread for reference. The Betts style hangers that @AModelCat cat posted and the light bar style you posted. The distance between the bolts “studs” on the frame mount end of hangers are visually different.

10. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Make sure you measure your trucks bolt hole spacing before you buy hangers to make sure they will match otherwise you will have to punch new holes.

11. gekko1323

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    Bingo! If you notice on the original message of this thread, the second picture from inside the frame has a hole between the other two. Do you see it? This must be the original hole.

Rideandrepair and SmallPackage Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.