Mudflaps for Pickup

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Miroh, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Miroh

Miroh Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2018
    So, I wasn't thinking about this when I purchased my Ram 3500 dually but...it doesn't have mudflaps! I know Tractor trailers have to have them but what about pickups? Is this another stupid expense that I must undertake?

Thanks for the input!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LGarrison

LGarrison Road Train Member

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    if your commercial vehicle you must have the mud flaps installed in general you need to have them anyhow

4. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    If you have a Ram 1ton pickup, they take all of 30mins to install. Waltz on into your local stealership parts dept. & pick up a set. I can't recall the exact price, but they were between $50-$70 bucks when I bought them in 2013. (tell them you own a business & they generally give a 10-15% discount) They come with easy to comprehend instructions. Takes a drill & a couple box wrenches or socket set. If your not running air bags on the rear axle, I recommend hanging them in the 2wd vs. 4wd truck position so they won't drag the ground when loaded heavy..

5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Being a CMV has nothing to do with it, as there is NO requirement in the FMCSA regs for mudflaps. It is a state issue, and different states have different requirements. Some want them within 8" of the ground. Others allow up to 12". Some have no set distance, but rather rely upon a formula based upon the angle from the contact patch of the tire up to the rear of the vehicle...the farther from the wheels the mud flaps are, the shorter they can be...and if your vehicle has enough rear overhang, mud flaps might not even be necessary. In other words, your dually pickup might not need them, depending upon the distance between the tires and your rear fenders and bumper and their height from the ground.

And then if you're hooked to a trailer, mud flaps on the rear of the truck aren't neccessary because all of these states only care about the rear-most axle, as that is the one that will toss rocks and such up at the windshields of cars behind you. 11 years and my Mack has never had mud flaps on while hooked to a trailer. I've got them to slip into the brackets when I have to bobtail somewhere, but remove them any time I hook up to another trailer.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  6. Scoot 1971

Scoot 1971 Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2018
    About 15 yrs ago I was pulled over and given a warning by a state trooper in Tx. I was driving my 2000 Chevrolet 3500 dually. Trooper told me all dual wheel axle must have mud flaps on interstates. Can't recall if he said that was a Texas law or USDOT regulation.

7. Miroh

Miroh Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2018
    And what of the tires of the gooseneck. I'm assuming now since they aren't as high off the ground as a 53 footer?

8. ast26909

ast26909 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
    In Texas a dually MUST have mudflaps to pass inspection, and drivers could get ticket for no mudflaps. Beside practical use a dually just looks better with mudflaps, I would recommend Husky molded mudflaps they fit very well and there is even mudflaps for front tires (a must-have on my trucks).

9. Miroh

Miroh Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2018
    I looked at the husky molded but they didn't reach nearly the length that I was wanting them to.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.