Muffler Or Straight Pipe

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Adamali21, Jul 16, 2019.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Just put a muffler on it, it's not just about you. Loud trucks are very annoying and does little but make noise. I always had mufflers on my trucks. I drove a guys cool old Marmon for a ( short) while with twin straight pipes, it was cool for about 20 minutes. It got to be so annoying, I said, put some mufflers on this thing, or I'm done. He did not, and I was done and his kid rolled the truck 2 weeks later, straight pipes and all. And I rarely put a muffler on my trucks, and that was in the salt bath, where you getting these mufflers, China?

Tb0n3 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Adamali21

Adamali21 Light Load Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Haha it’s called Fleetpride

FlaSwampRat and 201 Thank this.
  4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Get a nice factory one from a truck junkyard. Many times, it's the only thing left,,,

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    “Legally” at a minimum you need at least a small resonator on your exhaust. A true straight pipe is illegal. Colorado and Montana are a couple places that like writing tickets for it.

I would buy a good quality muffler like Grand Rock. I’m assuming you have a flat top exhaust tip if you’re getting enough water in your exhaust to rust your muffler out. If that’s the case then a small bucket or a coffee can over the tip when you park will keep the water out. Or you could also buy a curved top stack when you buy a new muffler.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Really?

Wow must never wash the truck.

I think I've replaced four mufflers out of a lot of trucks,

jamespmack Thanks this.
  7. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    I've got 5" miter cut. Use a couple of plastic milk jugs to cover them. Cut the top off about quarter way down the handle. They just squeeze on which is nice, because it provides a bit resistance. Keeps them from blowing off when the wind kicks up. Tried washer fluid jugs 1st, but they blew away..

8. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    My curb side muffler did the same. The previous owner used the truck as an RV, & skimped on maintaining it. Doubt they ever covered the stacks for weather. The muffler cracked where the 5" inlet meets the flat base..

9. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Be advised, Medicare doesn’t pay for hearing aids.

tommymonza and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  10. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    You are correct. Technically illegal. I would think any state can enforce it if they feel like it. I know its hard to believe but R model macks came through factory without a muffler. My dad bought one in 1970. The other new one in 1974 had one. The mackodine (sp) didn't have a loud roar to it. Even the exhaust brake wasn't to bad. I run mufflers. In Pa they have to have a heat shield to pass state inspection. Straights with small muffler underneath, or regular muffler.

201, singlescrewshaker and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  11. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I found out about the heat shield thing, I think it was Ohio. That's what I did with my '72 Pete in the avatar, 400 Cummins, a muffler under the cab, a Y pipe and straight pipes going up. Looked neat, and I didn't have a headache after 9 hours,,,:mad:,,come to think of it, my '82 Western Star had a muffler under the cab with an outlet on each side, and straight pipes up. I don't think that muffler cost any more than a regular one.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  12. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    It is only illegal if the state has a law specifically requiring mufflers on diesel trucks.
    Co has one, but only if you have a jake or compression brake, otherwise straights are legal.
    Most states do not have a law on the books for them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.