Muffler Or Straight Pipe

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Adamali21, Jul 16, 2019.

1. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Chances are greater that you will not have a problem. If you dont drive and act like a (ace in the hole)
    Also even though states might not have a law, specifically requiring mufflers in diesel trucks.

BUT All STATES and most cities, have a noise ordance/law. So while you "might" technically be correct, and possibly even win in court. Is it worth it to, take time off work. To go back to that city/town/state.

FlaSwampRat and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    43 years and no tickets yet, I reckon I am ahead of the game. lol
    To be fair not all of my trucks have been straight piped though, so not sure on the years running straights, but do not intend to stop now either.

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  4. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    Just use some "stove pipe" or Sewer pipe for that rat rod look. Black it out and it matches the soot from engine.

JoeyJunk and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  5. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I have seen it. A few years back I had a shop and one of my customers ran some belly dump trucks. He sent them down to East Texas and hired local drivers for a few months.
    When they came back, not only did they have a variety of different pipes, even hot water vent pipe, but chicken lights taped to mirrors and air cleaners, with the wires running out through the doors, where it slammed on them every time you opened the door. lol

FlaSwampRat and Intothesunset Thank this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Ask any farmer, a rain gutter downspout makes a great straight pipe,,:biggrin_25523:

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  7. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    On my w9 I have no muffler and it’s straight piped the whole way.

I love how jakes sound and it works better than my air horn. I also cannot hear it when in the cab or sleeping.

I hate how I can hear it in a parking lot 500 feet away. I just turn off jakes and don’t rev it and never had DOT issues.

70mph up a hill I can get 91db on my meter. It’s not so much the drone but the turbo whine is ridiculous. Probably avg 85db on flat.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  8. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Most states have some sort of law that basically states that the exhaust can’t be modified to be louder than stock with original muffler.

Exhaust Noise Laws By State | SEMA ACTION NETWORK

Don’t drive like an idiot and you’ll likely have no issues. But if you’re getting inspected that’s an easy pick if the rest of your truck is in good order.

FlaSwampRat and stillwurkin Thank this.
  9. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I have been through multiple inspections in several states, and get a sticker with straights, never has the subject even came up.

I generally run my jakes pulling into the scale house, and on a regular basis, and have never had it mentioned.

10. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I’ve had straights too and never had an issue. All I was saying is most states have laws if they want to enforce them. As I stated in my earlier post, CO and MT are the places that looked to see if I had a resonator.

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  11. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I keep that truck out of Co, well anywhere but Alaska from now on, but Mt never gave me any grief, or checked it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.