Muffler replacement time...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by HalpinUout, Oct 22, 2017.

1. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    My truck has 450k miles on it. What is the general rule of thumb when it comes to changing out a muffler? I've read that replacing it you gain a tad bit of fuel mileage due to the old one being packed in with so much soot. I have a grass burner on my truck and also have DEF after treatment etc etc... Just looking to make changes little by little here on this truck...

Shock Therapy and 4mer trucker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Not sure there is much to gain mpg wise, I would replace with oem parts, the restriction in the exhaust is already done by your dpf and def systems. I think you are doing good at 450,000 miles considering how hot the exhaust is on these new emissions trucks. I had to replace a flex pipe that was leaking at only about 145,000 miles. Pete sure is proud of that short pipe it was around 300-400 bucks iirc.

4. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    I would replace it with a hi-flow muffler, Donaldson makes a few different models.

Lepton1 and HalpinUout Thank this.
  5. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    We put the Donaldson m1000463 on my dads weed burner t600. It took some coercion with a hammer and cutoff wheel (10 yrs old, over a million miles), but it came off just fine. It has superior flow according to the charts online to the stock muffler and gained him a couple tenths mpg. We picked it up from the truckpro warehouse near our house for $120 I think. And it is as quiet as the stock, maybe even quieter since it doesn't have rusted holes at the mounting brackets like the original did.

Lepton1, fargonaz and HalpinUout Thank this.
  6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    450K and you need new mufflers? Wow.
    No truck I have been in has really needed it that soon. Actually, none of the trucks I have had has needed mufflers. And I idle a lot!

I have no idea about truck mufflers, my only experience is with cars.
    They might sound better and may give a slight performance increase, but the overall cost usually isn't worth it.

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    The only reason I'd change a muffler is because its rusted out. If the muffler is after the aftertreatment system there should be no soot in it anyways.

Lepton1 and bzinger Thank this.
  8. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I didn't say I needed a new muffler. I was looking for opinions/advice. Like I said I am trying to do/change things out on this truck little by little versus waiting for complete failure and have to get something "fixed now". I believe you work for a Mega still? Not sure how often if ever they change the mufflers out I'm sure it's rare because they don't keep them long enough... My other concern was the muffler rusting out faster than your standard behind cab type, being a grass burner it will see lots more salt etc etc...

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Get rid of the DEF system, that's the only way you can improve it.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.