Multiple Mention Thread

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by MEDITERRANEO, Aug 29, 2005.

Werner or TMC, For a veteran that wants to make the most money

Poll closed Aug 29, 2006.
  1. Werner

40.0%
  2. TMC

60.0%
  1. PortlandDriver

PortlandDriver RIP, May You Be Heaventown Bound!

May 30, 2005
    Pacific Northwest
    Why don't you contact the company directly...If they dance around about the pay go talk with someone else...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spokman

spokman Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2006
    I want to keep this thread up to date. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

4. Joethemechanic

Joethemechanic Medium Load Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Phila Pa
    BTT has a terminal about a block away from my buddy's garage. From what I know about them they are supposed to be the largest drayage company in the US. I never really talk to the owner operators there I only know them to wave at when we pass. Out of this terminal they all seem to have fancy trucks with custom paint and lots of chrome. They seem to have too nice of equipment to be running sea containers out of the pier. To tell you the truth I always wondered what goes on there, it just seems like one of those deals where there is an unknown factor.

5. newbee 45

newbee 45 Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Did you go with Averitt Express ?

6. Roosterpuddin

Roosterpuddin Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2006
    I work 3rd shift loading dock for Averitt.They are leaning toward "combo-drivers".They usually load trucks for 3-4 hrs, then pull a load fairly close from knoxville,which is where I am.The toped-out dock help make 18 on the hr.The full time dock help prefer to just load than drive.The benifits are very good, especially the family insurance(25-30 a week).If you are a new hire, prepare for a 3rd shift life.Alot of the drivers I've seen are older and close to retirement.They lost a contract with Honda not long ago, and it seems this is the see-saw for which they are making plans.I hoped I helped you guys with this post.Good luck.

7. newbee 45

newbee 45 Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Thanks for the inside info on Averitt, I am planning to here from them this monday for a regional drivers job, Thanks for the postive reply on Averitt.

8. boblett

boblett Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2006
    I just graduated from A good CDL school in Kentucky. I am going to start work the first of September. I have picked two companies that sound the best to me. It will be Werner or TMC. My biggest need is money.

I just got out of the Marines, the VA will do an apprenticeship program with Werner, and Werner is the only trucking company they will do this with and this means I will receive $9300 from My GI bill from the VA my first year working with Werner.

At TMC it is said that I would make more money then I would at Werner even with the $9300 from the VA. After 30 days with TMC I can get 25% to 35% of what the truck makes. Werner would be 26 to 28 cent per mile $75 to off load the truck and $15 for every stop plus the big $9300 from the VA.

Both recruiters is telling me that I will make about $1000 a week and home every weekend. I do not like to take the ward from just a recruiter but for now that is all I have to go off. I am not scared of hard work or home time. I just want to make the kind of money I use to make.

Any advice I could get from here on this matter will most likely be my deciding factor on who to go with.

Thanks to anyone that answers, and thinks to the webmaster of this website. Your website was a big help on picking my school.

9. Hardrock

Hardrock Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2006
    Arkansas
    money issues aside, as a former Marine you should like the Truckers Marine Corp because your truck has to be squared away to their liking. Their orientation use to be led by a former Marine and the load securement class is like "boot camp" for flatbedders. You would probably do well in that environment. As far as the money, other posters on here say that TMC runs a lot of cheap-rate, low-density freight like lumber, which means alot of short hops to make the money up in volume. When I went to orientation 7 years ago their main hauls were steel and John Deere equipment. I guess your money making depends on where you live and what type of freight lane you're in. I never drove for them due to a medical issue we couldn't get worked out, but I was impressed by their organization and training. There's plenty of posts on here about both TMC and Werner to help you make up your mind.

10. Rainmaker-Leo

Rainmaker-Leo Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2006
    werner was my start in driving when i finished trucking school in casper, wy. i was with them for aprox 3 plus years and would refer new drivers to them for the training and expereince that they can offer. if this is your choice or whom ever you chose do one important thing to get ready. plan out your time away from home and come prepared.

11. Rainmaker-Leo

Rainmaker-Leo Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2006
    :wave: good luck and best wishes to your trucking adventure

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.