Multiplex gauges

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by ktc15, Dec 16, 2017.

1. ktc15

ktc15 Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2017
    MN
    Not sure if anyone will be able to answer this but after searching for quite awhile I've hit a wall. Not looking for opinions or preference just facts.

Is it possible to retrofit the newer full sweep multiplex gauges from a early to mid 2000's 387 or 06-07 379 into a 00 379?

Before I went the independent o/o route and was still a company driver I drove quite a few different trucks and always liked the newer full sweeps better. To me they also look a lot nicer than the earlier gauges. The idiot lights would be nice but I could really care less about them since I actually look at my gauges.

As far as I know the gauges Daisy chain together and then plug into bcm/cab control module/dash module whatever you want to call it. And that is connected to the j1939 serial data bus to pull the info from the ecm.

If you just hooked it up would the gauges function or is there programming involved? The glider guys gauges work with earlier engines but I really haven't found any info on doing what I'm talking about.

Any help or info would be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    387 gauges are a different ball game then the 389 gauges. Mid 2000s were amtek gauges in the 387, you do not want those.
    Yes, anything is possible, but it is far from practical.
    379s have no cecu. You are talking about piecing together a dash harness from a 389 and a 379. Then hooking it up to the cecu and adding more fuses to the cab fuse panel to power everything or swapping to a 389 fuse panel. 40pin cat ecms do not communicate on the 1939, so you will have to have a 70 pin ecm. Then somehow finding room in the cab for all the new wiring and modules. 389's speedo and tach panel is one big unit and communicates as a group to the cecu. So then you would have to graft the speedo panel into your 379. and on and on...........

You want different gauges?? just buy aftermarket ones for a 379. Easiest solution

AModelCat Thanks this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    A gauge for a J1939 system is designed to work off digital messages sent to it from a control unit. The older style gauges typically worked in conjunction with a specific sending unit that varies the voltage/amperage that is allowed to flow through the gauge's coils.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.