Must have tools

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Art08, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    A 5 gallon bucket for those days your stranded in the middle of a polar vortex, and a propane torch to burn that trash.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Travisroland

Travisroland Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2015
    KY Jelly for when your getting screwed at a shipper/receiver

Rollr4872 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  4. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Our Company..Well,they dont even Want you Changing a headlight bulb? But,if you can "work on your rig",basic stuff. A tire guage,extra bulbs,fuses assortment,heavy duty hammer( for beating the tandem pins in),anti gell for diesel,knives,T10,T15 and assortment folding tool,plumbers tape for air line fittings,glad hand seals,heavy duty padlock,rainx,paper towels,hose clamps,assortment of hose,fuel filter,cheap Harbor freight metric socket set,2 or 3 Vice grips(for pinching off air line on a leaking air can.open end 7/16 and 1/2 wrench for stuff like (adjusting your out of spec "slack adjusters,air hose that runs off your glad hand (to air up low tires

WesternPlains Thanks this.
  5. Art08

Art08 Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Thank you guys for ALL your help!!! I do really apretiate it! Honestly, I do not really want to do much fixing with this truck as it is not mine. But at least I can get something done to get to the nearest service place if needed. But as I said this “must have” tool set will be carried with me when I will be on my own in a future.

6. Art08

Art08 Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2017
    It is 2015 Volvo 780

7. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Today most issues I deal with on company truck are related to DEF or some other electronic issue. I don't miss the days of changing spring bodies in the bush but company was always generous paying me for mechanical work. Even today if I fix something minor and charge company minimum 2 hours they dont squak. What are their options? Tow? Shop charges?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    I would love to make that call to breakdown lol.

Riiiing riiiing
    Breakdown: Breakdown .... ?

Driver: Yea, hi, my glad hand seal is old and worn and its not supplying enough air.

Breakdown: Ok, is there a truck stop close by that you can limp to and buy a new seal?

Driver: Oh there's no need for that, I have some spares in my truck.

Breakdown: Ok ...? Then whats the problem?

Driver: Well, I'm just curious how long its gonna take for you to come and swap my seals out??

Breakdown: *smashing sounds and yelling off in the distance, then the phone line goes silent*

ChaoSS, Lepton1 and AModelCat Thank this.
  9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    The drivers where I used to work would pretrip their trucks and then come to the shop like "yeah my front turn signal is out."

Bulbs are in the bin and here's a screwdriver. I got 2 trucks ahead of you and this pinion seal won't change itself.

10. Woodchuck88

Woodchuck88 Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2017
    New York
    Zip ties, gorilla tape and a 50 pound sledgehammer.

11. Art08

Art08 Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2017
    That’s 2015 Volvo 780
    Will be the bulbs the same?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.