Must read!!!! Stopped by FL DOT yesterday....

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Driver of the year, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Fiddle Sticks

Fiddle Sticks Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Chicagoland
    Yes, the writing appears to be on the wall. The Dry Van cross-country trucker is going by the bye-bye. Trains are gobbling up the cross country freight. You illustrated how even ships are getting involved there where you are at. I still believe the cross-country reefer and auto hauler and step-decker and tanker driver will still have work. I have no ambition to be a Dry-Van hauler unless it is in a regional area where the trains will not be competitive (time constraints) and where I can attempt to master the shipping lanes faster.

-----------------------------------------------

Regarding China starving us, wait until Dopey pushes the Debt to over $20 trillion...let us see if anyone purchases US Debt instruments then.

I try to tell everyone I am able (to include the 20-something training me) of just how much a TRILLION dollars is. It is difficult in words. This You tube video is worth a trillion words...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFP-2_iDYMU

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    While most/many of the posts here are right on--the point I feel is being missed here--about the DOT--most anywhere--is the TYPE of work you are doing--DriverofYear--while I have no doubt from your posts that you take care of and maintain YOUR equipment properly--The sad fact is way too many don't--and I think you will have to agree this is the unfortunate truth w/many of the folks pulling cans--especially short haul---and while the gov may in small ways at least act like they are addressing the chassis ownership/maintanence responsibility aspect---far too many o/o and small companies are running trucks that leave lets say a lot to be desired--so while I fell you may be right that you are/were being singled out unfairly--IMHO--pulling a can is like have a target painted on your back...
    just sayin

4. Fiddle Sticks

Fiddle Sticks Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Chicagoland
    Driver-of-the-Year, a buck-forty ($1.40) per mile is not a good rate, is it? I do not think it is.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/trp/3674612402.html

I thought container work paid by the load--i.e., mileage plus the loading/unloading time and any live lift time is use to compute the rate.

Please fill me in as to what I am missing, if anything.

5. truckersjustice

truckersjustice Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Burnsville, MN
    The federal HOS rule applies to transportation in interstate and foreign commerce, not to interstate transportation. Since the movement involves containers carrying property in interstate commerce, then the intra-state hauling of goods moving in interstate or foreign commerce then 49 C.F.R. Part 395 (federal HOS regs) applies. See, Central Freight Lines Inc. v Interstate Commerce Commission (1990) wherein the U. S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit said the following:

The Court found that the ICC permissible found that it is the shippers "fixed and persistent intent" to put the goods in interstate commerce at the time of shipment that controlled whether the shipment was an interstate shipment or an intrastate shipment.

NOTHING IN THIS POST SHOULD BE CONSTRUED AS CREATING AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP.

Paul Taylor
    Attorney at Law
    www.truckersjusticecenter.com

double yellow and aiwiron Thank this.
  6. Charli Girl

Charli Girl Road Train Member

Mar 23, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    You lost me at CRUZ...what a putz he is! It's just embarrassing that he claims Texas...He should pack up and go back to Canada where he was BORN

Grouch Thanks this.
  7. larry_minn

larry_minn Light Load Member

Nov 15, 2012

OK last DOT info meeting I was at they talked about this.

Question was asked about FARMERS who haul their own crops with semi. (as I recall) IF they haul instate (or just over border..*was it 10 or 40 miles??*) they did NOT need to run log book, Get DOT # for tractor (did have to inspect/card)
    BUT if they hauled to "ports" as in Duluth then they needed to run log books, DOT # on truck, Medical card.... everything. As now they were hauling a "Interstate" Cargo..
    Remember the laws do NOT have to make sense. They often don't.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.