My 10 day Orientation Experience with

Discussion in 'Watkins & Shepard' started by CAGEtrucker, May 30, 2010.

1. Wedge

Wedge Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Griffin, Georgia
    Way to go, Cage. :biggrin_25525:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BNR32

BNR32 Heavy Load Member

Aug 20, 2010
    denver, CO
    so whats all involved with the backing evaluation? ive been out here a week, we did some backs into their dock out here, is that all there is to it, or is there more? im hoping its all done because that would mean im pretty much set over here and can rest easy the remaining few days. if i had to do more im sure i would be fine, i got in first try on all my backs without pulling up at all...i just dont WANT to do any more!

i read 3 backing evaluations but i dont know if there will be time for much more for us, we still have a lot of class stuff yet to be covered and only a couple days left of the 10.

4. CAGEtrucker

CAGEtrucker Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Somewhere, AZ
    Backing eval is pretty easy just make sure to Get Out And Look a few times to look. It appears from talking to others drivers about their 10 day that if people do not do well then everyone does it again if anyone struggled so that nobody is pressured or on the spot. I know with my class we had one the 1st day 4th day and 8th.

Good luck

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
    roadlt Thanks this.
  5. Warpdrvr

Warpdrvr Heavy Load Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Corona, CA
    During my 10 day, we did 3 or 4 backs into the "dock" in Missoula with Mark, and then on another day, we backed in between trailers to simulate a drop and hook, or backing into a spot in a truck stop. We did that one with Kelby...number of pull ups did not matter, and it went better if you actually G.O.A.L.'d

6. BNR32

BNR32 Heavy Load Member

Aug 20, 2010
    denver, CO
    im not worried at all about my backing skills, i just want to be done already!

i know they will let you try again, they did for one guy on the city driving...then the mountain...guess how the backing went? lmao...yeah hes on the bus right now

i GOAL at least once if im dropping a trailer, but at the dock i have been in every time without needing to goal or even pull up at all. its super easy as long as you set yourself up well.

7. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

Do they want us to GOAL? I usally don't need to 99% of the time, but I can if thats what they want me to....

American Trucker

8. Warpdrvr

Warpdrvr Heavy Load Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Corona, CA
    YES!! If you GOAL, it shows them you know what you're doing, and not afraid to get out and not be the bestest student there....

I did it once or twice during the alley dock, and 3 or 4 during the tight spot backing.

If you usually don't need to use it, do it at least once. Don't know what type of experience you have, but this orientation is real world, and you are really backing into docks, and in between trailers at the terminal. It's a world of difference from backing between cones at school where it doesn't matter if you run one over. At the terminals, if you do that, you've hit another trailer...

9. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

Oh yea I get what your saying, I'll definitely GOAL. I've backed 48' and 53' trailers into tons of docks and parking spaces. I went to CDL school when I was 18 and then just finished a refresher at one, and My last job of 2 years 3 months 2 weeks and 1 day (not that I was counting or anything) I had to move quite a few trailers around....But thanks for the heads up, I have no interest in trying to impress them with my backing, I want to show them that I can do the job right and do it safely.

American Trucker

10. BNR32

BNR32 Heavy Load Member

Aug 20, 2010
    denver, CO
    in general at least one goal to survey the area before you even setup a back is a good idea. take however many more as you need them, whether it be 0 or 15. if you arent sure, gtfoal!!! haha
    if your 90% sure you arent going to hit anything, thats not good enough, goal. the thing with them is not that you HAVE to goal X amount of times, its just that you will if you need to and wont just go around backing blindly.
    when your new sometimes you just need a goal to look at the big picture and think about what you need to do to next. thats fine.

do whatever you have to in order to back safely. thats all they are looking for.

11. Socalchuckster

Socalchuckster Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Fontana, CA
    One day (hopefully in November) when I'm at the WS ten day orientation, I'm gonna make a CD of the mexican soccer announcer yelling "Gooooooooooooal" and play it while im backing the truck up to give me motivation lol.

Chuck

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.