My 10 day Orientation Experience with

Discussion in 'Watkins & Shepard' started by CAGEtrucker, May 30, 2010.

1. truckerdaddy24

truckerdaddy24 Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Avondale Az.
    Thanks, Sounds fun so far. let us know. See ya soon. TD.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blue Screen

Blue Screen Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Atlanta,GA
    Keep Us informed on your 10 days. Thanks for the post. Wife and I are looking into W/S. I use to drive years ago so I think It will not take long for me to relearn all my bad habits. :biggrin_25523: I worry about what my wife who has little experience driving OTR will learn from 10 days in Carolina?

Good Luck To You / Stay Safe :biggrin_25514:

4. Warpdrvr

Warpdrvr Heavy Load Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Corona, CA
    Oh, here's a little secret about Wal-Mart....since they have the hot deli, at 7pm all the stuff (chicken, shrimp, onion rings, jalepeno poppers, etc) go on half price sale. I got enuf food for 3 meals for about 4 bucks or so....if you like that kind of food, well worth the drive down there...

The Challenger and wulfman75 Thank this.
  5. CAGEtrucker

CAGEtrucker Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Somewhere, AZ
    There is a husband and wife in my class. They say more and more are getting into the industry. He just retired from 30 years as an insurance agent.

Blue Screen and Saddle Tramp Thank this.
  6. CAGEtrucker

Apr 18, 2010
    Somewhere, AZ
    Raining again today. We started in classroom, got truck assignments, now realize there are 2 training trucks, for my class we have 4 now. We hooked hooked to trailers with about 45000 lbs. in them. We then went back into class watched a video, then we went over safety, shifting, UP and DOWN hills, yes in school they say no here they say yes. We then went to lunch and after lunch we hit the road. I was first to drive in 1718 with Kelby we had 4 trainees in the truck. WOW a LOADED trailer is WAY different then empty as well as the 53 instead of the 48 I learned in. I drove down Broadway all the way to a truck stop up and down a few hills and through downtown Missoula. I saw the University of Montana Grizzlies stadium. The other 3 guys went and we all did well all 4 of us are still here. I think everyone made it nobody sent home today. When we got back to the yard Ray and I needed to show our backing to Kelby we both did pretty good. I will also mention I got all the handouts in the white folder completed.

I look forward to more driving, not sure how much we will get I guess the next drive will include a bunch of turns to make sure we can drive the trailer.

Until tomorrow.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  7. CAGEtrucker

Apr 18, 2010
    Somewhere, AZ
    Day 3

Today was a bunch of class, about 7 hours on LOGS. LOGS, LOGS, LOGS. I think I know logs inside and out now. NOT, still a bunch to learn but understand them much better. I completed the 1st Log exercise I hope it is right. We went into the yard to check out different trucks and trailers we learned to slide tandems. Spent about an hour practicing in the yard then I headed to dinner at Famous Daves BBQ. Was a great day. We are supposed to have the trucks connected and ready to go at 8am for our next drive evaluation. :biggrin_25524: Some people are concerned it is cut time and we may lose a few people before we get our next $100 tomorrow afternoon. I hope everyone does well I enjoy chatting with pretty much everyone in my class a few less then others but hope we ALL make it through tomorrow.

Until tomorrow.

8. CAGEtrucker

Apr 18, 2010
    Somewhere, AZ
    Day 4

Sad but AWESOME day. The couple from class that were going to team decided to leave on their own accord, the lady had a pretty sore leg and back from all the backing practice. We did our 2nd road evaluation I did not hit a single curb and let me tell you there were a few hairy one's but I made it. Everyone else in class made it I think there may be 2 on the bubble but this weekend they can practice, practice, practice. Also got good news at the end of the day. Our instructor picked up a load and I was 1 of 3 picked to go with him on a 36 hour 2000 mile trip from Missoula to Fort Collins CO, then bobtail down to Denver terminal get a trailer from the terminal then pick up a load back to Missoula for Monday 10am delivery. This will be fun. Technically this is not part of the 10 day orientation so we got lucky to get to do this. I will post something on Sunday evening about the trip.

Also met WingRider from the forum here today.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  9. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Cage congrats on getting the trip to Co. - keep posting it's very interesting to hear how your training experience is going!
    Good luck!

10. truckerdaddy24

truckerdaddy24 Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Avondale Az.
    WOW!! They would say in High School, "You Stud" You gots it happening!!, That is cool. Glad to hear you are doing so well. Take Care. TD.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  11. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    Four of you in a truck? Boy would I like to be the DOT officer that bust that truck. Thats so illegal it's not even funny. The bosses at W/S know this and let it go on? Or is the trainer pulling a fast one and trying to make extra cash using student slave labor? This kind of illegal stuff is all I need to know about W/S so called "top"training.:biggrin_25523:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.