My 10 day Orientation Experience with

Discussion in 'Watkins & Shepard' started by CAGEtrucker, May 30, 2010.

1. Znine

Znine Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Spokane, wa
    A web belt looks like a rubber net and goes over the person like a blanket to strap you in. I know you won't believe me but I was wondering if you were going to bring it up. I was even wondering if it was legal on the top bunk but your research says it is. Thank you.

About the 4 drivers I am curious to see what they did. My guess they took 5 hour shifts driving. 2 up front take turns 5 hours each at the wheel. Then after 10 hours they go to the sleeper and the other 2 take over. I sure it will be all explaind to us shortly! Whats the point? That is just an opinion.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Deserted1

Deserted1 Medium Load Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Riverside, ca
    First off I know this because we spoke with Kelby last time about it, they do this and he DOES NOT DRIVE.. Only the other 3 drive, second all of our trucks have web belts on the sleepers, and where does it say its ILLEGAL to be in the top bunk while its moving, it doesnt it says you must be secured if the truck is moving, not that you cannot be on the top bunk. Second WHY CANT you have 4 in a truck, where does it say ONLY TWO per truck? NOWHERE..

*Admin Edit: Insults Removed*

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2010
  4. Deserted1

Mar 8, 2010
    Riverside, ca
    *Admin edit: insults removed* One of them is a Orientation Instructor, he does NO DRIVING, he just makes sure they are staying safe and doing what they are supposed to do. He is onduty, nothing in the manual states you cannot do this.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2010
  5. Warpdrvr

Warpdrvr Heavy Load Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Corona, CA
    So, because of one person that got all bent out of shape for some reason, and is a known trouble maker in other threads as well, CAGE's thread was closed? Why doesn't the trouble maker get banned or something so our threads can stay open for discussion?

I am an employee of WS, for the record, our trucks have web belts for BOTH bunks, but if I remember correctly, on the student trips they sleep in motels. I was told this by someone who had been on a student trip. Our class did not get to make one so I have no first hand knowledge...

6. Admin

Admin TTR Forum Owner Staff Member Administrator

Apr 6, 2009
    If a member is posting insults, please use the report post button. When a user chooses to respond to a post with insults of their own, it creates an even larger problem for the moderators to clean up. "so-and-so started it" isn't a valid defense; if someone participates in arguments and insults, they are equally at fault.

This thread is now reopened after substantial clean-up by the volunteer moderators. The rest of the participants in this thread would appreciate it if the guilty parties would use greater discretion in their posts.

7. Deserted1

Mar 8, 2010
    Riverside, ca
    I did let it get out of hand and will refrain from speaking to or listening to that other party again. the Ignore feature will be put to use.

8. CAGEtrucker

CAGEtrucker Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Somewhere, AZ
    Thank you for reopening the thread it is mine to help people get an understand of what a great company Watkins & Shepard is. Admin is I know you can block Kabar from threads I have my own similar thread I used to manage just block him from the Watkins DAC Folder threads it is a few simple clicks.

THANK YOU once again for reopening so I can continue my information providing to people who would really appreciate the information.

roadlt Thanks this.
  9. CAGEtrucker

Apr 18, 2010
    Somewhere, AZ
    For everyone's information WE BROKE NO LAWS or RULES.

Also know this is not a normal thing for 10-day orientation drivers to go on a road trip like this. We left Saturday morning at 8am and returned at 10pm Sunday. Because we are LICENSE holders nothing to explain it was all legal and no rules were broken. ENOUGH said on that. Kelby drove the 1st leg, I drove 2nd leg, Doug drove 3rd leg and James drove 4th leg and Kelby drove final leg. It was great to have a LIVE load, I backed in a truck stop and then also at our 1st delivery which was dust an unhook. The doug bobtailed to the yard in Denver, we dropped the empty and hooked a loaded trailer coming back this way. It was great to be on the road real world, shifting and controlling on hills it was great. I could not believe how easy and safe up and down shifting on a hill was, my brakes NEVER got hot. Can't believe people people attempt to discount it because it is a real brake saver.

Now I will post on Day 5.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
    wulfman75 and difference-maker Thank this.
  10. CAGEtrucker

Apr 18, 2010
    Somewhere, AZ
    DAY 5,

Backing evaluation, everyone did well. 1 person still struggling a bit but did excellent today, you can tell he has been practicing. We are down to 10 people from the start of 13 last week. We then learned more about logs, then trip envelopes, CSA-2010. Pretty mellow day LOTS AND LOTS of rain it poured and now sun is out and all the puddles are almost gone. So far so good passed 2 driving evaluations and 3 backing evaluations, I think tomorrow will be our 3rd check ride that will include mountain shifting and operations, should be fun I learned a bunch on the ride over the weekend I am looking forward to it.

Not much to report today was a great day, I am a little tired I did not sleep well on the road.

Until tomorrow......

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
    wulfman75 and Lonesome Thank this.
  11. CAGEtrucker

Apr 18, 2010
    Somewhere, AZ
    I have never purposely tried to insult you. I know more about trucking then you thing, just because I have not driven myself until this last 2 months. I have a family member who was been in trucking a long time. I ask that you PLEASE just stay off ANY THREAD that I PERSONALLY start. My threads will be 100% INFORMATIVE nothing negative or derogatory needs to be posted. If we are on another thread posting information which by the way before I post I even check with my family member to make sure I am correct. Leave me alone and I will leave you alone. Thanks and be safe buddy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.