My 16 Week Experience with TRANSAM

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Old Guy 56, Feb 19, 2009.

1. smurf-316

smurf-316 Resident Nut Case

Oct 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    2 years ago A friend of mine knew Johny Jacobson personally and said he would like to have me come out to Kansas and have a look around for a few days. So I did. Talking to MANY drivers there both company and O/O's I found some VERY interesting things about the company. If you are a lease driver then you WILL get your miles. They want you to pay for that new KW. If you are a company driver you are more screwed than the lease guys. I found that most company drivers averaged around 1200 miles per week. O/O's around 2500 per week. I heard many stories but this is only 1 example. One company driver named john who I ate pizza with in the driver lounge had waited 3 days on his next load. When he got it, He was given 4 days to drive from Omaha to Philly. This was the same thing I heard over and over. I was really caught off guard by all this. I had worked for Old Dominion and never dealt with this kinda crap. In the end I said No Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SorryTransAmLeaseOp

SorryTransAmLeaseOp Bobtail Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Chicago IL
    Well, I was plannning on picking up a beef load by 17:00, it was only a 500 mile load, and would have given me 1000 miles by Wednesday morning.. I thought this week I would be only negative by $200-$300.. looks like it will be more like -$600. It just keeps getting better and better...

4. Old Guy 56

Old Guy 56 Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Athens, GA
    2 years ago A friend of mine knew Johny Jacobson personally and said he would like to have me come out to Kansas and have a look around for a few days. So I did. Talking to MANY drivers there both company and O/O's I found some VERY interesting things about the company. If you are a lease driver then you WILL get your miles. They want you to pay for that new KW. If you are a company driver you are more screwed than the lease guys. I found that most company drivers averaged around 1200 miles per week. O/O's around 2500 per week. I heard many stories but this is only 1 example. One company driver named john who I ate pizza with in the driver lounge had waited 3 days on his next load. When he got it, He was given 4 days to drive from Omaha to Philly. This was the same thing I heard over and over. I was really caught off guard by all this. I had worked for Old Dominion and never dealt with this kinda crap. In the end I said No Thanks!

You will get enough miles to pay the lease. What's left over for you to live on will be very thin. 1500 to 1800 miles to pay the lease and the fuel. 400 to 500 miles to pay you. net pay $250 to $300 or less if TransAm can find something else to charge you for (and they will).

5. SorryTransAmLeaseOp

SorryTransAmLeaseOp Bobtail Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Chicago IL
    What did you exactly say to Jacobson? Did you say I'm not getting the miles and I quit and replied "Well ok" did you say more, did he say more? The buck stops with him at Trans Am and I'm consdering calling him, but is it worth the phone call?

6. Old Guy 56

Old Guy 56 Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Athens, GA
    I do not think that calling anyone at TransAm will do any good. I think that confronting them in person can do some good if your job performance has been close to perfect. If it has not they will place the blame on you and dismiss your concerns.

What I said to Johnny was:

I've made every pickup and delivery on time and tried to follow every rule and procedure of TransAm. Your company has made me sit 3-4 days a week and basically screwed me and put me on the verge of bankruptcy. I think this whole thing is nothing but a scam.

What he said to me was:

Well, so. You've already quit. There's nothing I can do for you.

I do not think that anyone at TransAm cares if you make a living. I think the only thing they care about is whether or not you have pissed off their boss and gotten them in trouble. The only thing Johnny cares about is if the loads get delivered on time. The only way you will get more miles is to go see Johnny or Russ and get some heat from above raining down on those below. Going to see Mary might work also if you are not ready for the nuclear option. The point is though, you will not get any of them on the phone, You must get to Olathe terminal and see them in person.

billsgirl Thanks this.
  7. Panhandle flash

Panhandle flash Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Oklahoma City
    TA has a lot of bad to it but it also has some good. You will find posts from me on both sides of the coin. Let me tell you one of the good.
    My dad has cancer and has started on his final journey. Don't know whether its the company and policy or whether its just the fact that I have a kick ### DM, but she is moving heaven and earth to get me the time to say goodby. Unloaded in Waco this morning at 0500 and am already at the Coke plant, in a door and waiting to be loaded. Time in 0730. Can't hit the road till midnight cause I'm right at my 70. She has run the crap out me this trip. I have been averaging 2500 miles a week for a month or so and have had 2 1800+ mile runs back to back. Guess I've proved myself to her and she's letting me go to the limit.

8. Panhandle flash

Panhandle flash Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Oklahoma City
    Duh, forgot to tell you the load is going to NE and will be going right by my house.

9. Tran Man

Tran Man Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Ohio
    That's, "Mighty white of him".... I guess you gotta be on your death bed, to get herd by that company?

Either way, I'm sorry for your Dad's condition

10. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    Well I am glad your happy, but...

Your bumping your 70 averaging 2500 a week for a month and you consider it being the crap ran out of you? :biggrin_2551:

11. Thumper

Thumper Medium Load Member

Aug 22, 2008
    just catchin up on some reading why would anyone that is a puter programer even think about trucking? to many ways to make serous cash doing that ive got a few freinds who do nothing but freelance work and make good money wish i knew how todo it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.