My blog with Melton Truck Lines

Discussion in 'Melton' started by Army91W, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Kellanium

Kellanium Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Aurora, IL
    Wow. Talk about cutting it close! Love your blog, by the way.

I'm about 95% sure I'm going to go with Melton once I'm done with my class.

Army91W Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Army91W

Army91W Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2006
    San Antonio, TX

Yes, it was close and I did not make it to my normal parking spot. But the truck is legal.

I complain sometimes but I'm not leaving. My insurance just kicked in and my wife has gone to the doctor 2x and has yet to pay a copay. I guess because they are wellness visits. The pay is as good if not better then most plus apu's on all trucks. Personally, I couldn't imagine spending 8 weeks with a trainer. Melton says a minimum of 3 weeks but if you or your trainer think you need more time you'll get it. I really liked my trainer, I still talk to him probably every other day but 3 weeks was enough. Plus, the first thing Melton checks before they assign a trainer is if they are going home in the next 3 weeks. No sitting around while your trainer is on hometime.

My biggest thing to suggest is to stay on the road for 3 weeks at a time. Melton will get you home every other weekend but I recommend staying out a minimum of 3 weeks. Melton gets me home early and 2 days of hometime usually ends up being 3-4. Out of 14 days taking 3.5 to 4 days off won't help your production.

Good luck in your decision.

KC63, Kellanium and Ford L8000 Thank this.
  4. Ford L8000

Ford L8000 Medium Load Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Blacksburg, VA
    I'm enjoying your blog about your experience at Melton as well. I'm thinking about applying there once I get out of the Army and finish truck driving school. How are the trucks equipped so far as how many watts is the inverter in the trucks? How is the load securement training and how heavy approximately are the tarps you have to lift?

5. Army91W

Nov 3, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I have never looked up how many watts the inverter is rated for. It runs my tv and fridge no problem.

The training is good. I had a big class and we had 8-9 people in it. My buddy went through it a couple weeks after me and it was him and another guy. I went through Dallas this morning and I think they had five guys. A lot places might advertise a longer training but with 30-40 guys in your class is it more training? I learned most of my securement with my trainer. Also, if I have a question I have his number, a picture book lol, and safety. The stuff that takes real practice is being able to identify want messes up your tarps and or straps and not letting it happen.

I think the tarps are between 60-80lbs. I wish I had 4 foot drop tarps vs the 8 foot that Melton gives me but with a price tag of $300 I am not buying my own.

Let me know if that helps.

6. Ford L8000

Ford L8000 Medium Load Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Blacksburg, VA
    Thanks, that sums it up for me!

7. booth793

booth793 Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Awesome blog and lots of good info.

does Melton offer tuition reimbursement? Seems like a great company and I'm trying to narrow down my list of options. Any questions and info you can provide would be awesome and greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'll have more questions if you don't mind and have time to answer. Mind is kinda blank at the moment though lol

Kellanium Thanks this.
  8. Jay_da_trucker

Jay_da_trucker Bobtail Member

May 18, 2014
    Mississippi
    Are there any terminals close to Mississippi other than Tulsa?

9. Flatbedn

Flatbedn Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Missouri
  10. Army91W

Nov 3, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Hey everyone. I had a great restart at home and left the house last Monday evening. I probably could of left Tuesday morning but fighting San Antonio, Austin, and or Dallas morning traffic did not appeal to me. I drove to our terminal in Dallas and stayed the night. I figured the truck stops would be packed because of the holiday and everyone waiting to make their Tuesday morning delivery.

Tuesday I woke up and drove to the Petro in Joplin, MO. I really didn't plan to stay the night there but parking choices were limited in Springfield, Mo where I was delivering. I woke up Wednesday morning and the placard tanker next to me was leaking. Petro employees were banging on the drivers door and I left before the hazmat crew came and blocked me into my spot.

I drove to the dealership to deliver the vans. I had called the broker the night before and set up the tow truck driver to be there at 8am. Of course the broker didn't realize that Missouri is central time so the roll off driver was not there till 9am.

I then deadheaded 15 miles away to pick up spools of plastic tubing. Nice easy load for next day delivery on the IL/WI border. Parked at the consignee and had some family come get me for a great dinner and catching up.

Thursday morning I got the spools off the truck and was sent to Chicago to pick up metal tubing. It took for ever to get loaded but once finished I headed to Kentucky for next day delivery. I saw on the sign in sheet there was four other trucks heading to the same place for delivery. I decided I would drive straight through and stay the night at the consignee.

I beat everyone there except for an owner operator but was unloaded right away. Normally I don't care about being first but it being Friday I wanted a good load for the wknd. Then I proceeded to have my longest wait for a load. It took two hours for them to send me to northern KY for a preloaded trailer.

This place works with all the major flatbed carriers and we have an equipment exchange out. That's why my preloaded trailer of coils was already loaded but not secured. The tarps the last Melton driver left were garbage so I took them off folded them up.

I secured my 3 coils with chains and then retarped the load with my tarps. I don't know why but that load kicked my butt. I stopped three times to go sit in the truck with the ac on. Normally I don't get to tired but that Friday afternoon with the sun shining and 85+ degrees did the trick.

This load is headed to Kansas City, KS. I stayed Friday night in Indiana and I am taking a 34 hour restart at the Petro outside of Kansas City. I ended the week with 2570 paid miles and two tarp pays. I could always use more miles, two weeks till Fathers Day and hometime. A load Monday going west would be nice. We shall see. Take care everyone.

Triletter Thanks this.
  11. bnrobot

bnrobot Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2014
    So. CA

Hey booth, yes they do. When i started the deal was $1200 max reimbursement. 600 at 6 months. And another 600 at your year mark. All you gotta do is bring your receipt with you if you paid in cash or loan docs. I paid cash for school so i just made a copy of the check from my bank that i wrote.

JimBeam and Army91W Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.