My "boat anchor" CB's

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Turbo-T, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    IMG_8191.JPG

LOL not really, we call old radios that sometimes. But I thought I'd share mine.

Top is a Teaberry Model T 40 channel tube type from 1977. She transmits ok but receive is not very good.

Bottom is an Olson RA-530 5 channel crystal set from 1963. I inherited this from my father in law. It powers up but doesn't transmit or receive. Hopefully one day it will, if I can find all the parts I need. But the big capacitor and those crystals are going to be the biggest issue I think.

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I haven't seen an Olson in years.

Model T's an ok radio, a few mods and it can be a good radio.

The caps are not an issue. Hayseed hamfest may help you out with it, https://hayseedhamfest.com/

4. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I have one that looks like the Teaberry mounted under the instrument panel of a 1955 Studebaker Ambulance I own. It says Lafayette on it, forget the model number. 12V and 110V depending on which cord you plug into the back. Has 5 crystals in it.

5. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    Yeah I was reading on how if you can't find the big can cap, you can make one from 4 smaller caps. Still though the crystals....No one I know of makes them anymore and it's a good bet the ones inside are probably off frequency.

Just 5? The crystal sets of the 60's had one for receive and one for transmit. I had one of those Lafayette HB-444's that looked like the Comstats, but it had the bluish green line across the center that would glow when the radio was on.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Cap stuffing is a PIA, I've done it a lot of times.

A lot of people make them, they are not cheap like they used to be - $5.

Here is a good list of companies where you can get them. I would also think that a couple may be off but not all of them.

http://www.af4k.com/crystals.htm

7. Neverready

Neverready Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Pocomoke City, Md.
    DSCN0570.JPG Here is an old Courier had extra channels. Came home one day it was sitting on desk buzzing. Glad it didn't burn down the house. One of these days I'll box it up and send it down the line. until then it qualifies as a boat anchor.

8. SpaceMann

SpaceMann Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Can you post a pic? Some of those old Lafayette radios are now collectors items! ;)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.