My boyd experience

Discussion in 'Boyd' started by old school hevyhauler, Sep 7, 2011.

1. old school hevyhauler

old school hevyhauler Bobtail Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Just thought I'd relate my 2 cents worth for anyone going to, or contemplating Boyd Bros. Overall, they are a pretty strong company. Good benefits, decent folks for the most part. I really believe their heart is in the right place.
    When you are accepted, you will be told about hometime. In most cases, depending on your home location, you will be guaranteed 24-36 hours home weekly, unless ASKED to stay out. I think this is dependent on your fleet manager, and the areas he sends you most. Personally, I have fussed for months, to make this happen, to little or no avail. It does seem to work for most of the drivers I run across, though. Even one, that lives within 30 miles of me, so I know it IS possible.
    In orientation we were told fleet managers were placed on straight salary. Evidently, this has changed, as my FM has admitted they are receiving bonuses again. This may be the cause of being pushed to stay gone. It was 2 weeks at first, then 3, then tried to push to 4. The hometime was a huge deciding factor in my decision to go to Boyd. Never was I asked to stay out, just ran through the list of common excuses why..... slow freight, no freight going that way, etc. Load swap searches were offered, but only late on Friday, when I was 5-700 miles from home.
    As for basic equipment, you will receive just that. Tarps, chains, binders, etc. Straps are left with the trailers, and some you will pick up, will be missing, or unservicable, in the field. But this is to be expected. As for padding material, you're pretty much on your own. Some of the steel and crated loads, will resemble a porcupine, so you need to find your own padding material. Most of these loads will have the paperwork stamped with, MUST BE KEPT DRY, so you see a slice from sharp steel edges are a real problem.
    A word about tarps, and tarping here. The vast majority of products you load, will be tarped. Most of the tarps you'll see, are, in my opinion, well past their useful lifespan. Most are a mass of patches and repairs. Alot of which are so old, they are coming loose, so be aware, and have duct tape ready. Mostly, the combo tarps, which will JUST cover a 5' high, 8' wide load. Anything over 5', you'll need the 9' drop lumber tarps, or 4 combos, turned sideways. The lumber tarps, are solid, no flaps, so their heavy, bulky, and did I say heavy? Just part of the job, seriously.
    Customer base.... So far, in several months, I have been to only a handful, where we might be considered the "premier" carrier. For the most part, you will be just another truck, treated with little or no respect. If you find a shipper that you're out of in 2 1/2 hours or less, remember it fondly. There is so much competition nowadays, they no longer have to "cater" to truckers. 4 hours is a good norm.... If you are sent to Claymont steel, Claymont, DE, bring a lunch.... and dinner. 17-24+ hours is not uncommon. And chances are, you won't receive any compensation for your wait. "Good customer"....... The flatbed industry has gone the way of van freight now, APPOINTMENTS...... You will show up on time or early, then wait in line behind several others, all with the same "appointment". Be prepared for it, and be happy if it is better than expected.
    The trucks...... decent company-type trucks. Mostly snap together plastic interiors. Int'ls are famous for very little storage, so be prepared to move stuff back and forth from your bunk. In referrence to some other posts, NO BOYD DOES NOT HAVE BEDBUGS. You'll get a new mattress, about 3 inches of foam, sleeps like plywood, if you have any size. It's new, but with so much turnover, they aren't buying expensive "premium" mattresses. You will be passed by every other flatbed company, uphill, or flat ground. Swift, Maverick, Western Express, etc. If you are lucky enough to get a unit with no APU, even every other Boyd truck. They are cut back further, to make up for your idle time, which you will be chastised for, during hot months, with short dispatches. Opt for a truckstop with a lounge, as you'll be told to use it, instead of privacy with your truck idling during those 34 hour resets.
    This company has approx. 1/3 of the fleet in the million mile, or more club, so there must be a reason. Not every company works for every driver. Ms. Betty Nix is the sweetest, nicest person, and truly cares. She is the head of recruitment, and she will try to help. On her direction, I took my problems to the Ops manager. He was perhaps, the most dis-interested individual I have spoken with there. Before all the words were out of my lips, Wade started reciting the same excuses I have heard for months. I could go higher up the chain, but to what end? Being branded a problem, or whiner, doesn't fare well in the trucking industry. Sooner or later, it WILL come back to bite you.
    I sooo, hate to change jobs. But as evidenced by my screen name, I have years of other talents that are marketable. If I am forced to be gone longer than promised, I can apply them, toward a larger paycheck. Please, don't hesitate to give them a try. Boyd is really the best "flatbed" carrier. Just be aware, and don't let things get too far out of hand, before working the chain of command. If you try to hustle, and let your merits speak for you, undoubtedly, you will fall in the same trap.

jmthomas Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pmurcyard

pmurcyard Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Thanks. only wish I read this before I started. Been here 5 months and I agree with everything here. personally I am getting home on the weekends just fine but I am expected to leave early enough to get to the consignee by midnight sunday. I like the pay and benefits and holidays off, but its too much other crap to deal with to make it worth it. I like to do things my way especially if Im investing this much time into a job. If I quit right now and went home and got 2 full time jobs and slept in my own bed, I would actually work less hours. this isnt what I bargained for. I really hoped for the best

4. lonhank

lonhank Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Brewton
    I agree with Heavyhauler. I drove for Boyd for a year and finally left because of poor time at home. That seems to be an ongoing deal with them. Yes, Betty is a nice person and will try and help if she can. There is a decent flatbed company named "Buddy Moore Trucking" out of Birmingham, Al. I drove for them for quite a while and got very good hometime (every weekend no matter what.... guaranteed). They have nice equipment and kept me busy. I left them to drive a box. So, if you do not care about hometime Boyd is not bad but if you do, give Buddy Moore a call.

5. jimvrg

jimvrg Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2012
    yellville arkansas
    :biggrin_2553:
    unload by 10 luckey to reload by 4 drive al night:biggrin_2557:

6. aecs8251

aecs8251 Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Mi
    Thank u for taking the time to post this!! Good luck to U

7. jimvrg

jimvrg Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2012
    yellville arkansas
    they were alot better 6 years ago,longer miles ,more miles,to many trucks in one area,they need to exspand there freight lanes

8. Porthos

Porthos Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2012
    NE Ohio
    Thanks for starting this thread. I'm applying to Boyd right now. I married a Boyd, don't know if I should work for one!

whoopNride Thanks this.
  9. -insert name-

-insert name- ATM squishier

Jul 12, 2012
    SOMEWHERE
    15 years at Boyd and its not all yall say it is. Sure, we're the ones that get passed by a snail, but their changing. With MPG coming up we can see a pay raise and the trucks turned up to 72mph, lease/O/O removed govnor. with the 53' coming in more accounts are opening. Now their leasing the Prostar's instead of the crappy 9400's. Yes, they are getting more coverage. The new raildecks will allow them to reach out to CA. Overall things are improving. If your up north and have whats his name, you'll get put on some dang good accounts. Loaded to and back.

10. -insert name-

-insert name- ATM squishier

Jul 12, 2012
    SOMEWHERE
    that is not the fault of the carrier, you should have called Clayton on your dispatcher. They can get a heavy fine and a bad record from that crap right there.

Not the account where they send a fleet message, but where your dispatcher calls you, "Want another?"

11. Flatbed...

Flatbed... Bobtail Member

May 11, 2011
    I have posted about Boyd in the past and said good things, but I have to retract everything I previously said. I've worked for them for 8 years now. The trucks are now slowed down to 60 MPH, SLOWER THAN JB HUNT! They are going to 100% elogs soon, and the new trucks have security cameras looking at the drivers. when I started there, they were a good company to work for, but it's become obvious this company is circling the drain. Boyd used to be a good deal, but the industry is changing.
    From what I'm hearing, it seems a large number of companies are doing this crap. After 20 years on the road, I think it may be time to end my trucking career. This seems to be the direction the industry is going. I got into the trucking business in order to be self-directed with no supervisor looking over my shoulder all the time. It's become obvious that that way of life is coming to an end.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.