My brakes are smoking when on steep grades.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TankerYanker36, Feb 22, 2022.

1. Experienced Trucker

Experienced Trucker Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2018
    BS! JAKE ON MAX & 6th gear gives you 35 mph. down the Vine. Let her hit 40 & stab the brakes back to 35. Once you're @ the bottom where the 35mph ends drivers grab gears & run the 2 miles to the split allowing cool fresh air to cool them stoppers. Then it's still another 3-4 miles @ the 2% B4 it FINALLY flattens. Where dod you pull over with smoking brakes to ask a website what you do? In front of the South bound coupe so they could see you smoking.

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    Please tell me you learned pulling down on the gear shifter sets the Jake brake by now.

#### man your company needs to get it together.

You also push the button on the end towards the steering wheel to turn on manual mode.

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  4. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Whatever happened to an actual shifter between the seats, and switches on the dash for Jake brakes? I'm reading about sticks on the steering wheel and knobs and such. I'm not familiar with all dat tomfoolery

5. Dmay

Dmay Bobtail Member

Dec 17, 2021
    Your engine brake should have 3 or 4 different settings. Figure them out and use the heaviest amount you need

6. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    I am driving the first auto I have ever had in almost 30 years of driving trucks. Almost have put 200,000 on it. DD15 with the Eaton 12. It's phenomenal when the driver has complete control of the transmission. I wouldn't dare drive one with the manual mode locked out. There is so much wrong with handing the keys to a new driver and telling him to just set the cruise even on downgrades I can't even begin.
    Locking these guys out of manual mode and telling them to just trust the computer is dangerous at best. I can't even imagine letting a 15 litre diesel turn 2300 rpm for any length of time.
    Problem isn't the technology. It's big companies using the technology to help solve their hiring issues. These new automated trans are a good set up if you know how to drive a truck already and a nanny doesn't neuter it. My concern owning one is more about reliability and longevity. I love mine, but cringe at guys telling everyone there is all a of sudden a new way to drive a truck.
    I wouldn't work for a company that locks out manual mode. Don't think I would for any price honestly.

7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

If you put me in the OP's truck I wouldn't have known how to set the jakes. Somebody didn't educate that guy enough.
    We don't have any automatics and I've never driven one but I probably would have asked.

8. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    The closest to an automatic I've driven was an auto shift, which still has a clutch pedal. Hated that thing with a burning passion. I feel my blood pressure rising just thinking about it. Hopefully the new, true automatics work much better.

sealevel Thanks this.
  9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    We may be talking about one of those schmuck companies that disables the manual mode.

Mototom and sealevel Thank this.
  10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    XPO Logistics has this wipers on = no cruise control BS, which is reason #137 why I would never turn a key for the likes of them or Saia.

Apparently XPO sets their maximum cruise speeds higher than the peddle like we do, because I heard one day they got turned up to 70. Then they discovered through the nanny cams that the linehaul drivers were using Rain-X, so they got turned back down.

How pitiful is that?

That’s another disgusting example of how instead of getting rid of the screwups, everybody else has to be forcibly dumbed down to their lowest common denominator.

You’re a better man than I for this. I’ve became too jaded over the years from dealing with too many morons. Fortunately, I can usually tell when I’m dealing with somebody that isn’t worth trying to explain something to, and that’s usually by their work ethic.

11. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    I'm much better about it on here than in person. I'll say something to coworkers (most of who I trained or helped train) because they'll listen, even if they don't take my advice.

But real world? Only takes a few tries to realize most guy's egos won't let them listen to someone else. At least here there's a chance they'll at least ponder it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.