My Brief Time at Schneider Bulk

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by MSWS, Mar 2, 2023.

1. Munch75

Munch75 Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2021
    Don't guess any of the drivers on here preaching about how the industry should pay hourly thought about this approach. I left Schneider not that long ago and they were just starting to phase this in. Had the discussion with my Account manager about how it would not work out for the account I was on. He agreed but was above his pay grade.

I was running refrig. average 2200 to 3000k miles a week. Started at .34 for first bit but they had enough drivers leave the account and left me there solo. Gave me LOTS of leverage to get the cpm boosted for me and any new drivers they hoped to get over there. When I left I got the account up to $.54/cpm. Still had the accesorial extras added. Home every week and if they didnt have a load you could run in the time you had left you got a lay over pay.
    Don't know what that account is like now. I don't ask him when conversations happen. I just know know they brought some drivers over from Dollar General and they thought they were having a vacation lol.

Now I am making more, home every night and have been actively been trying to convince him over to where I am.

LtlAnonymous, MSWS and Lonesome Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    @gentleroger already posted about this when the change came in......said he was getting screwed. I, on the other hand, did pretty well. .56 mile, and $10 an hour on duty. Which works out well for live unloads. My log book has either driving time or on duty time. It's worth about $100 a week +/-.

4. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    I don't see how anything you talked about here pertains to people preaching about hourly pay. I think it would objectively lead to improvements for drivers. You negotiated a higher rate? Well it's not as though you couldn't do that with hourly pay.

Munch75, Lonesome and MSWS Thank this.
  5. MSWS

MSWS Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2022
    I agree. I think hourly pay "CAN" lead to improvements, but there are other factors to consider. If Schneider had honored what I was originally told about using on-duty the whole time at a shipper/receiver, I would probably still be there.

To be fair to them, that could be how they do it once a driver is actually out on the road. Official policy and real-world practices are not always the same thing. I just couldn't justify investing more time with them this early into the process, especially in light of their other lies, in the hope that they would ignore their own rules later on. But if I were already driving for them when these changes took place, and if my pay weren't affected in any meaningful way, I don't see why I would leave.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  6. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    You did the right and smart thing. If they can't live up to the minimal assurances, they probably won't live up to any.
    Here's my story........

I applied to Raven to be a M-F, home daily driver delivering beer from Albany GA. Pick up a load of beer from the brewery, and deliver to warehouses throughout GA and FL. Out and back, Monday thru Friday......sweet gig.
    Soooo, I'm tentatively hired with an orientation set up in Jacksonville FL the next week.
    They send me a link with like 50 'self learning' videos to watch before I go to orientation, (not paid).
    I suck it up and watch them all.
    Soooo....on Thursday or so before I go to orientation, I get a call from the sorta regional manager.
    "Happy to have you aboard. We'll see you next Monday and get you settled in. I'll train you on containers and get you set up for your TWIC card."
    And I was like, "Containers and TWIC card?" Hummmm.
    I hung up and thought about it......sometimes it seems people tell you things that they don't really know they're telling you and if you're not paying real close attention, you miss it.
    So, the next day I call the dude back. I says, "dude, I applied to be a home daily, Monday thru Friday beer driver out of Albany GA. Being a Monday thru Friday beer driver requires neither a TWIC or Container training. Let me be clear. I don't haul cans and I don't do ports."
    Dude says, "Um, let me have the recruiter call you back."
    She never did.

Moral of the story, (for me anyway) is this:
    Trucking is as diversified as just about any industry in America. From the pay and benefits to the requirements of the position.
    If the companies were really honest about the positions they offer, turnover would be far less.
    Trucking companies only have themselves to blame.

7. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    hulk.jpg

8. MSWS

MSWS Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2022
    Idk if it's a sign of the times or just bad luck, but since my wife and I lost our jobs in 2021 because of the "vaccine" mandate, we have experienced more blatant lying from employers, inside and outside of trucking, than at every other time in our lives combined. I'm talking everything from lying about the pay to full-fledged bait and switch on the job itself.

9. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Nope, it's not the employers. It's these #### millennials that just don't wanna work! Lol

10. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    nah, dude. It's been that way forever.
    I sincerely wish you the best.
    I would say try Schneider, but, well........

11. Munch75

Munch75 Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2021
    Schneider introduced hourly pay. Nothing more needs to be said. My point being that they introduced it in a way that was beneficial to them only. And still can lay claim they they introduced hourly pay.

Just because it wasn't by the design and intentions of the preachers should just be another warning of being careful of what you wish for. Are they paying hourly- Yes. Are they paying the hourly you had in mind- nope, but they are paying hourly.

Think of it as the scene in the black pearl . Barbosa and Will Turner negotiating the release of Swan and Sparrow. He got what he wanted....just failed to specify the exact terms. But still got what he wanted.\

But take heed and maybe some solace. Them doing that means they are trying to get ahead of the currents that may be coming down the pipe, either via legislation or other companies signaling the same direction.

gentleroger, MSWS and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.