MY Crapcadia solution

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by breadtrk, Oct 29, 2017.

1. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    I would suggest only covering no more than 50% of that antenna and be sure to use the pvc that has some flex to it..If its a solid piece ya mught end up breakin the mount..

Dave_in_AZ and weasel Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Mounting in a pole is not so bad as long as the ground and feed point are very near one another..Thats the prob i had when i mounted a 10k on top of a 40" shaft...I was thinkin in helping by getting my antenna way up but rabbi cleared up my inexperienced idea..

4. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Yes I agree. The whole problem seems to be the lack of available ground for the antenna. Maybe unknowingly you guys have figured out how to get around this problem by making an offset fed vertical antenna. What I mean is that on a horizontal dipole antenna, instead of attaching the coax at the center of the antenna, you attach it around 1/3rd in from one end. This leaves 2/3rds of the rest of the antenna on the other side of the feed point. By your experimenting with the 25 or 27 inch shafts (poles), you may have technically tapped into the 1/3rd section of your off set vertical dipole like antenna. Now this is just my theory, but it makes sense to me since it is working for you guys. If I’m wrong someone can correct me.

5. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Sounds reasonable enuf but then again i had what i thought was a wicket antenna idea for my 10k...Turns out my idea woulda blown up my radio the 1st time i keyed up...Sooo wtf do i know lol..

6. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    Oh wow....ya you don't want to blow up your expensive radio..... I guess that's where these antenna
    analyzer come into play. They are well worth the money when it comes to experimenting and working
    with antennas.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  7. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    Since we were discussing common mode current and RFI earlier in the thread. I see that MFJ make
    a current meter MFJ-854. It just slips over the coax and you can use it to run down RFI problems.
    There's times that meter would have been handy to have over the years. Not sure how long they have
    been making this meter, but I just recently discovered it. Just FYI if anyone was interested.

8. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Lol...For some reason earlier today i was feeling sick(either the crap pilot coffee or the left over burger) so i didnt go to a shop up here in brampton ontario canada....I was looking at a small digital power/reflected power meter and that rf meter you speak of...But i just made my bed and got back into it(up all night commin up from suffolk va) and figured i would go up later..Forgot today was saturday and the place closes early so i missed out..Next time im up here again ill go sniffin for a deal..

9. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    I have 2 analyzers but they both read my resonance points differently...So i assumed ine of them needs to be calibrated...Now to figure out which one...I picked up a dummy load and both read almost identical yet again they read differently at same freq..So no im lost as to which if any are correct...I was plannning to ask the radio shop to help me confirm which one was out BBUUUTTTTT i didnt make it there..

10. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Yep, a one-meter man is a confident man.

A girl with two meters is filled with uncertainty.

11. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    No wonder the dude is confident..ITS 1 METER!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.