My Experience as a Line Haul Driver

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by American-Trucker, Apr 14, 2012.

1. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Pulling sets isn't as bad as alot of people make it seem. Just double check everything. If for a sec did you think, #### did i check that, go back and recheck it. Linehaul is fun, but it can be tiring as well. Made it back to the yard with less than 5 mins to spare on my 16 hr clock today and slept my saturday away. But I love it...most times.
    Dispatch gave me the heaviest trailers today, 23k and 19k so needless to say Im doing 25mph creeping over donner.

Congrats man, now atleast you can be home to atleast do things and interact with others.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Racefan488

Racefan488 Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Litchfield, ME
    My father in law has been doing line haul go the last 20 yrs. but for the last couple yrs he had a run that you cant turn so that means motel every other day. No weekends off. He worked for the company for 36 yrs.

4. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    I know what company you are going for as what everything you said they have you doing. I once worked there, you should do fine where you are and if its a big facility. Like Century I did line-haul as well there mostly(when able to work) since the guy above me went onto days. The truck I had for whatever reason was only governed for 62mph(all trucks have it) but it had no other computer stuff done to it so it had a crazy powerband. They would usually send me to where the heavy trailers would be coming from. Although most f my run was dock work as the hubs I ran were not far at all, about a hour or hour and a half. Century used to run the same too before he transfered.

At my new job I wish we still have line-haul drivers... the company got rid of them and having the bigger terminals bring the freight in. We had two drivers, one who transfered and the other one stayed and is doing p/d now. If I ever transfer i would make sure its for line-haul since theres more money in it. I do like doing p/d but at times it does get frustrating especially where I am located since theres a lot of traffic, and sometimes the customers are a pain, but I do like being able to go out at night.

Anyways good luck with everything, and safe trips

American-Trucker and CenutryClass Thank this.
  5. Wulfwynn

Wulfwynn <b>Brand New CDL Holder</b>

Sep 6, 2011
    Kannapolis, NC
    Now we'll just have to teach you how to interact with real people and not truckers. :biggrin_25522:

6. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Based on ACH's response I figured out who you are going to work for. Can be super rough in the beginning, and if you're working out of the terminal based on your location, all I will say is good luck. That was where I was going to transfer to before I headed west and the guy told me don't even apply for linehaul as there is a wait list.

Look at the bid sheet and see where you fall on the flexboard as I'm pretty sure thats where you'll end up. PM me and ill give you some tips for working at this enigma.

American-Trucker, alex94 and ACH1130 Thank this.
  7. sewerman

sewerman Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2008
    westville indiana
    Wonder boy I wish you luck. You are definitely going to need it working for that outfit.

3 steps and American-Trucker Thank this.
  8. dontknow

dontknow Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2011
    oklahoma city, ok.
    AT did you ever do those tutorials you mentioned at one time? If not will you be doing them. Seems like that would be an excellent use of your new camera and equipment. Maybe your dad would help. Hope to see them some day. Good luck with your new job.

American-Trucker Thanks this.
  9. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

i was going to do that at LST, but i never got around to it, i know i wont be able to do it at work. But i may be able to use my dads truck/trailer to do them at some point.

American Trucker

alex94 Thanks this.
  10. southtx

southtx Light Load Member

May 22, 2011
    hondo, tx
    Good luck with your first day tomorrow

11. epimax

epimax Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2011
    NC
    Indeed!
    :occasion5:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.