My experience at Central Transport

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Oi!, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    It would be great if they went under. Lousy company.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    and a lot of people would be out of jobs...

4. Last_over_hill

Last_over_hill Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2011
    I seriously don't appreciate that comment. I work for central transport and them going under would mean me and several other THOUSANDS of people would be without a job. Btw it is very stupid to even suggest that. Matty is one of the richest men on earth. Central aint going anywhere and contrary to what others are saying things are getting better. I've been with them for over a year and even in that short amount of time I've seen the maintenance and other problems getting better albeit slowly but they are making progress. I for one don't mind central transport. As long as you set them straight and refuse to drive a truck or trailer that has violations the other problems with this company are really small in my opinion. Once I leave the terminal I might hear from my dispatcher once or twice a day and even that is only through texts. Once in a blue moon I will get a phone call from my dispatcher. Central leaves the driver alone as long as the driver does his job. Yes I wish i got paid overtime over 40 but this is trucking and very few other ltl companies pay overtime over 40

5. ost1

ost1 Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2013
    they've been sticking to O/O for ever. including me in the 80's

6. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    What yard are you out of? Just say the state if you don't want to be recognized.

LOL things aren't getting better, they are worse than 5 years ago, pay is lower, the equipment is older and the hours are longer. And now linehaul is done at night, when it used to be done during the day same schedule as city.

There are so many things I didn't even list.

7. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Here is another Central story:

The week I quit I did my usual run, a meet 207 miles away from the yard. Hooked up my set and got there at 11 pm, and dispatch tells me the driver I'm meeting ran out of fuel (on the way there? how can that happen? lol) and get told to wait. Fine (they pay $15/hour for delays). Hour after hour goes by:

2 am hits, I call they tell me to wait a little longer. 4 am hits, I'm starting to worry about my 14 hr rule.

6 AM!! Idiot finally shows up with a 53 foot trailer, "oh, hey, here is your bill". He hands over the piece of paper with the seal still stapled to it (guy didn't even bothered to put it on LOL).

I hook up, and am checking the lights and tires when this guy comes racing back to where I was at:

"Hey, sorry man, I know you are not gonna like this but I can't take your load".
    Huh, why not?

"I don't have my doubles endorsement"
    Whaaaat?

I call dispatch just to verify the news: "yep, just go back to Orlando with your doubles, sorry"
    My face ---->:biggrin_2559:

I literally laughed the whole way back. Got back to the terminal almost an hour over my 14, took that night off to go for an interview at my new job, screw those clowns.

8. Last_over_hill

Last_over_hill Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2011

I'm out of the upper midwest...sry but if I got anymore specific they'd be able to identify me. I haven't had big issues with central. It seems the yard I'm out of is better taken care of than most others but then again that could be because we use vendors to fix our equipment instead of a maintenance shop. That being said I dont plan on staying with central forever but they do have a place. 3 months otr and you can get into the ltl field. In my opinion it's a good starter local company for those that want to get into the ltl field but don't have enough experience to go to the better ltl companies like old dominion.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  9. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    What company are you working for now?

10. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    That's only good if you happen to live by one of the few terminals that aren't run by complete imbeciles. The rest are dumps. I can say Detroit and New Buffalo are huge dumps with the latter being the worst sh!thole of all. Although it seems Nashville takes the cake when it comes to mediocrity.

11. Woppin Wild

Woppin Wild Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Ruskin, FL
    Any experience with the Richmond, VA yard? I've seen them advertising here and there on Craigslist, and I'd like to get into LTL, but I've only got ~8 months experience. They seem to be one of the few companies that'll hire local with less than a year of experience.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.