My experience in Prime's lease program so far.

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by crocky, Feb 2, 2018.

1. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    No my bad I was looking at his gross, that's a little above normal, guys I know are all about 5k a week, but they own their trucks, I retired about 8 years ago so I can only go by what they say, they have no reason to lie.

Romefox33 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Zigzag777

Zigzag777 Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Down Yonder
    I really don’t know your situation like age, experience, married or single, part of country where you live.

Reason I’m asking is I don’t think $10k and another 6 months is gonna be enough. Not having enough funds is the biggest reason for failure.

Have you considered line haul or regional for one of the larger LTL companies as a driver? It doesn’t have to be a forever job, just a way to build your bank. They won’t force you into a LP as Prime does. And there’s definitely drivers making good money without the risk, of an LP or OO.

crocky Thanks this.
  4. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Honestly, I see no reason to leave Prime until I'm ready to do so. The lease is not the best deal in the world, but I'm making money. I see no reason to leave what I know just to maybe make the same money somewhere else but also have to go through their training process where Id make less.

If for some reason I stop making money, then of course I'd leave but I really do not think I'd match or make more than Im making now as a 1st year company driver somewhere else.

When I'm closer to getting a truck, then I'll look more at my options but even if I had a truck today, I couldn't even put it at a company like Landstar or Mercer because both require a year of experance.

It makes the most sense to me to stay where Im at to get my 1st year in and continue to save. After I have that year experance, I open up much better options, but until then I really just have to get my time in.

Rollr4872 and Zigzag777 Thank this.
  5. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    I was broke down 2 days this week..got paid.. :biggrin_25525:

6. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    I see guys on YouTube showing their numbers..$1.30-$2.00 per mile going to the truck.
    For all the risk,subtract all your costs...your making slightly more than a company driver,who has zero skin in the game..:dontknow:

Lord Pablo and Zigzag777 Thank this.
  7. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    Are you pulling a reefer trailer or flat?

8. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I was a company driver and I wasn't making what I make now. What I always find funny is when you guys compare company vs lease as a way to say lease is bad, you guys always use the very best numbers for company and worst for lease...

I made over $1k one week as a company driver. I was taking my truck back to turn in because I wasn't staying on the road to not even make $1k/week. I decided to give lease a try before quiting as I had invested several months in training..

I have actual experance here as lease and company and company was no where near what I make now and benefits were not even worth considering because I wasn't gonna pay $3k a year for heath insurance that had a big deductible on top of that...

9. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Reefer sadly.. I came to Prime to do flatbed but I couldn't get a trainer.. Money wise reefer is better here than flat from what everyone tells me.

BoostedTeg Thanks this.
  10. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Thats probably as company you get crappy trucks.. ;)

11. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Well here is diffrence in company and lease..

I called a shipper as lease to try to pick up a load early. They said the load had been shipped via another company. I sat rest of that day picked up another load next day..

I was paid a fee of $70 for not having a load but also later collected $280 on the cancled load that I never ran. In fact I never moved my truck after hitting a truck stop from the previous load.

Now same experance as company..

Show up to Joplin, MO for a load only to find out that load had already been shipped. I was supposed to go to our terminal 60 miles away with this load to get my company truck fixed and do some stuff for HR..

Dispatch made me sit there for 3.5 hours not getting paid ( couldnt even drive to a truck stop) because I'm not under a load and finally I had to force the issue to be "approved" dead head miles so I could get there in time to see HR before they left..

They were trying to make me sit there another day to pick up a diffrent load where Id get paid $35 to hual it to Springfield from Joplin..

You can keep company BS and forced dispatch.. as lease, if I decide I want to sit a day because I'm tired or maybe I happen to be near a friend's house, I tell them not to get me a reload yet.. As company, you get told when to drive and you better plan those 3 days off 2 weeks out and hope they get you home and then when they do, half your 1st day off includes dropping your load at 3am and dropping your trailer at a yard..

Company nonsense is not my cup of tea..

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.