My experience in Prime's lease program so far.

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by crocky, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Tmichael2332

Tmichael2332 Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Mississippi
    This info is a couple years old so it could have changed and my memory could be off. From what I was told it’s 2 years within the newest year model available so 2017 as of now. 240 inch max wheelbase, has to weigh 21k (i think) or less with half tank of fuel and all equipment on board and governed at 65.

On the logistics side I think it just has to be able to run into Cali. No idea on the power only and intermodal side.

Rollr4872 and ghostzapper Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 386lover

386lover Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2017
    @redoctober83
    This guy has done several leases at Prime and was successful and then did Prime's power only program. He'll tell us what year tractor has to be. Plus hopefully he can give some tips to the OP to help him be successful in his lease.

4. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I actually checked with sucess, Prime is requiring the truck to be 2016 or newer if you bring it from outside. It also has to have the lane departure system and auto breaking crap.

5. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I thought I read somewhere that things went South after he went to the power only portion? Forgive me if I'm wrong.

BoostedTeg Thanks this.
  6. ladr

ladr Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2013
    GA

If you are willing to stay it as long as you do. why should anybody else knock it.

Just DON'T get behind in you quarterly tax payments.

7. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Umm, only did one lease with prime, bought the tractor 24 months into the 36 month lease and haven't looked back.
    You are correct, the Prime Logistics power only program turned sour for me. Being honest it was a blessing things ended they way they did. I have found myself doing a lot better. The benefits from being part of that program were also holding me back and having the freedom I have now has made it better for me to focus on the lanes I want to run and be home more frequently without getting fracked on rates because Prime didn't want drivers to go home.

albert l, 386lover, crocky and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Tmichael2332

Tmichael2332 Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Mississippi
    Nice to see they slacked up a little. I’ve got a nice semi dedicated thing going on the flatbed side. Which made me consider buying a truck and staying. My lease is up and the end of this month. I bought a truck anout a year ago and been getting it ready to go come March. Everything you want to do is very feasible. I did basically the same thing that you’re wanting to do. It took me a little longer than I initially planned. I could’ve left after 2.5-3 years but I decided to ride it out for that lease completion bonus. Even tho I’ll have completed a lease I’ll be the first to say it’s a ripoff BUT there is money to be made in it if you’re smart and play your cards right.

Zumbi3, redoctober83 and crocky Thank this.
  9. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Yea, the 2016 or newer kinda kills the deal for me as far as buying a truck to run at Prime for a while. If Im gonna spend that kind of money, I'd just want to order a new truck the way I want it. I really don't want that kind of payment cost or time wise..much less I don't think I'd get qualified for a loan on a new truck considering my business is so new..

This will likely mean I will have to stay in the lease a bit longer than I wanted before buying a truck to go elsewhere.

10. oldog1984

oldog1984 Medium Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
    columbus,ohio
    good luck to you
    wish you the best. .

crocky Thanks this.
  11. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Schneider's ic program blows prime out of the water..

jeff18 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.