My experience so far...

Discussion in 'Knight' started by Canisius the Trucking Dog, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Canisius the Trucking Dog

Canisius the Trucking Dog Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Phoenix, AZ
    I am a new driver- just licensed in Oct 2016, and after a LOT of research I chose Knight. To say I have been less than overwhelmed at how wonderful things are would be an understatement.

As a new driver, I had to start in their Squire program. That's 3-4 weeks out on the road with a trainer who is supposed to have at least a year with Knight before they can even be considered. After spending 3 weeks just talking to my recruiter, I finally get to orientation- later called DQP- Driver Qualification Process. That means you aren't even hired yet when you show up for orientation- they don't even start the process until you arrive. Makes sense I guess considering 25% of the expected people didn't show up.

After 3 days of orientation, and finally getting hired on the 4th day, I learn that they won't have a trainer available until the next week. Great, considering I quit my other job to do this one, right? Finally, they get me a trainer the next day who is based out of another terminal but happened to be driving through Phoenix. I get in touch with him, and he's in California, but will be in Phoenix the next morning. So I ask when I should meet him. He doesn't care he says. He picks me up and I get in the truck. A nice newer International with automatic transmission. He tells me to drive. So I get in and we go. 400 miles first day- through rain, high winds and all. Handled it like a champ. Over the next three weeks we run like a team, 16k miles in three weeks. Come to find out later I was supposed to do 90% of the driving, and the trainer was supposed to ride shotgun and observe. Yeah he did that sometimes. Mostly he slept, unless we were at a pickup or delivery. Made him some fat cash, but that sounds like par for the industry.

So after three weeks, he's ready for home time, and I get dumped at the Dallas terminal to get tested, and then wait for some toad to give me a ride back to Phoenix. Guy didn't say 10 words to me most of the freaking trip- and he didn't want me to drive so it took two days instead of the one we could have done it in. When I get home, I report back to the terminal. Guess what? No truck!! I ended up waiting 4 days to get a POS truck with windows so covered in tar/nicotine from the previous driver that I got sick just being in the dang truck. That truck broke down twice in the first week, but I got lucky and scored a newer truck.

About trucks- I ended up in 5 trucks in 4 weeks, finally ending back up in the newer truck that was my 2nd truck. That truck had a severe malfunction with the fifth wheel resulting in a trailer being lost coming out of a roundabout. Thank goodness no one got hurt but some idiot in another truck hit my truck while coming around it- resulting in another 2 day trip in someone else's truck back to Phoenix- with no pay, and then hopping around in other trucks till mine was done- and then another two days back to get the truck, only to have to turn back around and return to Phoenix so the B service could be done.

There are good DM's at Knight- just none of them assigned to me. My DM is a nice person- but totally incompetent. Forgets everything- and does precious little to fight for you. Seems like their goal is to get you off the phone ASAP. I spend 1/2 of every home time down at the terminal taking care of crap that doesn't get done on the road since you can't stand in front of the person while you are driving your truck.

With all the downtime this quarter I won't get my mileage bonus but at least I hit the safety and fuel bonus. But I gotta say, when I hit my 6 months, I will most likely be gone. Searching for better miles, better equipment, and appreciation for what I do. Knight just doesn't seem to be the place for it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Shock Therapy

Shock Therapy Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2016
    n.cntrl il
    Thanks for putting it out here.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where is your location? If we know the hiring area you live in we can help you find a better job.

5. Canisius the Trucking Dog

Canisius the Trucking Dog Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Phoenix, AZ
    I live in Phoenix

6. morpheus

morpheus Medium Load Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Schneider has a big terminal in Phoenix.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    KMC Eagle Transportation - tankers & dry vans
    Marten Transport
    Freymiller
    Dynamic Transit
    KKW Trucking - runs western states & Texas

8. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    May
    Watkins/Shepard
    Crete
    I think all of them have terminals in PHX
    Duncan & Sons
    J & L
    Smaller carriers also based in PHX

9. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    .... or just tell Knight you wanna haul for Sapa, their "elite" flatbed fleet. 'Lest you be gone~!

10. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Knight is doing their best to try and polish a turd with Trucker Steve, and all those neat little videos on YouTube with "suits" riding with drivers. At the end of the day, a turd is still a turd, no matter how pretty you try to make it...

11. OverDrive

OverDrive "A Watchman on the Walls"

Several of those carriers are team driving only, believe me you don't want to go that way!

Heard Crete went that way, maybe May, been out of the industry so can't say for sure

Dna Mach Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.