My experience with Knight Refrigerated

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Smaggs, Jun 10, 2011.

1. okieboy

okieboy Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2012
    I was with knight about a year ago, and they did not take you right out of school. You had to have 3 months exp. I don't know if they changed policies or not since then. Knight can be pretty scrict. You better make sure you have 100 pounds of pressure in your tires when you drive into a terminal, cause they will check if during the day. If you have wires sticking out on the tires anywhere, your gone. Pre trips should take care of that if you do them right. They had a qualcomm system that was kinda bad too, had to stop for 1 minute with the motor shut off so the logs would go to line 4 for fuel, if going under an awning. But, you can make more cpm than werner .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I don't know the first thing about Werner, BUT... I had one particular friend that was a trainer for them and he hated it and he said Knight is better.

4. RedRaven

RedRaven Bobtail Member

May 11, 2012
    Clackamas, OR
    So if at all possible would trying to get on with Knight right out of the gate from IITR be a decent stepping stone? (What I mean by that is put a year in, get some experience and hunt down a different company?) Really wanting to try and find a regional route but it seems like most, if not all driver training with companies are OTR until you go solo.

5. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    yeah. I'm not into OTR like I thought I'd be. I like trucking, but it has damaged my home life.

Knight is alright, so long as you keep an eye on payroll and make sure they know that you know what's up. I hear the Fairview, OR terminal is a good one. So is Idaho Falls.

6. RedRaven

RedRaven Bobtail Member

May 11, 2012
    Clackamas, OR
    I don't think OTR will bother me all that much, my wife actually wants to go with me once her current job is done with (about a year or so from now.)

Really what I am hoping to find is a company out this way that does regional or local hauling to get my experience in, if I can find a company that does their training and solo runs as regionals (OR/WA/ID probably being the main regional runs out my way if I were to guess) then I would be golden.

7. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Knight will do regional. You can also go 40 states and pick your schedule

2 weeks on, one week off...

10-14 days out 2 days off...

I think there are options for being home every week if you're regional.

I just take whatever decent loads I can get and get home when I can. Sometimes I'm doing 900 mile loads, other times 3000 mile loads. I like it all. OTR isn't really THAT bad, but sometimes I can't stand it. I'm doing alright right now.

Best of luck with your choice.

8. RedRaven

RedRaven Bobtail Member

May 11, 2012
    Clackamas, OR
    Thanks man! Glad to hear it's working out for you. I just gotta see if I can get through training. Decided I am going to grab a different job locally and save up (my wife's job pays all the bills plus extra right now) that way when I go through my CDL training I won't owe anyone anything.

After that I am gonna see what I can find, gonna keep doing a lot of research and discussing it with the wife. I hope to go into my training with a locked down job.

9. nievesco

nievesco Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Texas
    Well I'm finally doing orientation at Knight. It's a small group and I like it, compared to where I used to work, where they put like 70 people in orientation then 40 of them either quit or get tossed out of there. I also like the fact that the terminal is small and you get to know everyone who works there. So far so good, nice people in the Lakeland,FL terminal. Today was sort of a long day, smith system and the physical which is super long...lol... Let's see how it goes when I'm done with everything and I'm on a truck. I can't wait to be done and get back on the road!...:biggrin_255:

Hey Smaggs; what's new?

10. mitchtazz

mitchtazz Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    wow, another one from lakeland....we might end up being as big as Atlanta soon enough.

11. nievesco

nievesco Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Texas
    They said they will have around 300 trucks based out of lakeland in a couple of months. I know they've been saying for the longest time, they are building a new huge terminal on Lakeland, but I haven't seen anything.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.