My experience with Knight Refrigerated

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Smaggs, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Actually, I still have some Knight "T" shirts, and they aren't worn thin yet. 'Bout the only thing that didn't though!:biggrin_2559:

BWAAAAAAHHHAAAAAAHHHAAAAAAAAA!

Well I can only agree with your "Good Luck." And yes, I agree there are some Knight drivers that are happy with the company. I sincerely hope it works out for Smags.

This is from someone who SELDOM talks smack, but then that's OK. I've been accused for worse things. . .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I had quite a day yesterday.

Had to drop my trainer. We sat down to eat at a restaurant and he decided it was appropriate to start calling out racial slurs... loudly! He saw some trucker walk in with a turban on. I wanted to crawl out of there so bad.

Knight didn't question me. They pulled me off the truck and sent me home for a few days. I should be out of here next week. I continue to get my salary. They got me lunch and gave me a road test to see how I'm doing. All went well.

My DM was courteous and called me today to make sure things are okay with me.

I get it... salary is lower than mileage pay, but it's nice that they aren't questioning me and just letting me switch trainers and they're being nice about it.

I had fun on the test/class. Did some backing, road driving and some trailer hook ups.

I'm enjoying a few days off in my recliner and pool.

Jarhed1964 and Big Don Thank this.
  4. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Huey
    Telling the newbies what the company is like FROM THEIR OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE is NOT talking smack! Part of what makes this forum informational (as I see you are a wannabee and just joined) is getting different opinions and hearing from the people that are actually out there doing the job or have done the job.

I wish smags luck too but if you look at the MAJORITY of Knight threads you will see the same trend that people are happy for 3-6 months and then the driver will either put up and shut up and start looking or Knight 'finds' a way to make sure miles dry up so you want to leave sooner.

There on threads on pretty much any decent sized company on here and yes you will find cheerleaders and you will find nay sayers but that is the beauty of Trucker's Report getting different sides of the story. If you ignore the threads on the company then why did you join and why are you bothering to post if not to inform people?????

Huey Thanks this.
  5. Jarhed1964

Jarhed1964 Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Charlotte, NC

:biggrin_25512:

What a moron. It will never cease to amaze me how some folks will just assume that someone else has the same views they do. He sounds like a real "winner". Good on ya for getting away from that trash, and good on Knight for being quick to pull you from him.

Big Don and PinkyPetersen Thank this.
  6. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah. I didn't tell them what happened specifically. I figure that guy can just mess it up for himself. I thought it was nice that they immediately moved forward with me.

Knight was super cool... didn't hit me with an onslaught of questions. They just opted to include me on an already ongoing road test, so I hopped on a truck and showed that I was capable of road driving, backing and pulling forward 90 degrees into a parking space.

I can parallel park, but I really don't want to.

7. Jarhed1964

Jarhed1964 Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Awesome. If you are still at the terminal, ask them to let you tool around in a unit for more seat time. Parking, parallel, even city driving if there is someone free to ride with you. It'll become second nature in no time.

8. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm at home... I live right by the Phoenix terminal. Lucky me!

I'm actually not having any problems of any kind with driving or shifting. I still back slowly, but I prefer it that way. I've also practiced backing with my trailer tandems in different positions to get used to having overhang. It's not so bad once you do it a few times.

Stoney and Jarhed1964 Thank this.
  9. 1026

1026 Light Load Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Northwest Georgia
    My last road company was with Knight. I loved the company. I got my miles, paid daily, & I got plenty of rest not trying to jump through my hind end making up for poor planning. My equipment was top shelf for a company Pete. Never had any problems with getting a needed repair for truck or for a trailer.

If I didn't get the gig allowing me to earn a good living from home...I'd be with Knight in a heartbeat! Good luck & stay safe, eat healthy, & get some exercise if only a walk around the perimeter of the truckstop/rest area each day.

Stoney Thanks this.
  10. Huey

Huey Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sorry Sammy Cat, maybe I missed some previous threads.. did Smaggs ask for your opinion?

11. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yes, this thread is open for opinion and fact. I appreciate both of your angles on the subject.

I've been eating well. I'm already accustomed to eating several small meals a day and spacing my fluids out so I'm not having to whiz every half hour.

I had a lot of practice when I used to drive straight trucks and non-combination flat beds in my former tri-state area. I've been doing well so far OTR.

A balanced diet is definitely important if you're a trucker. I bring sandwich makings in a 12volt cooler and snacks along with drinks and waters. I still make it a point to sit down for a meal every 1-3 days. I shower as often as possible and I have plenty of clothes and baby wipes, just in case.

I also keep my bluetooth handy, so I can stay in touch with people hands-free. It's also handy if Knight needs to call me.

Big Don Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.