My experience with Knight Refrigerated

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Smaggs, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I play my Sadowsky through headphones

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Things are good. Getting Plenty of miles. I've been rolling every day since jan 2nd. Hoping for a few days off this week.

4. jpwatts

jpwatts Bobtail Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Initial training done, road test Monday. Thanks for the honest updates Smaggs, I'm just starting my life at Knight. My only other experience is with Werner years ago so I think I know what to expect.

I'm planning on chronicling my first year at Knight also in journal format. It's been cool reading your ups and downs with the company, valuable info.

Hope I see you out there sometime.

5. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You will eventually.

I don't know what it was, but I've mentioned that lots of people changed hats in the office and I've been bounced around with different dispatchers... for whatever reason.

I've been extremely busy all of January... contrary to 2011 when I had a lot of downtime for various reasons.

I think they've improved the PHX shop, too.

I don't know what's going on, but I'll take it. I'm getting enough miles that I no longer worry about bills. I'm trying to get money saved for retirement and whatever... emergencies. I'm probably going to finally be able to do that soon.

I haven't been worried about money all month, which is why I started trucking in the first place. My other jobs just paid nothing at all, really. It was like having nothing but your nostrils barely above water for a while there.

I'm surprised to be so busy, considering I heard that December-February/March is slow freight season.

6. jpwatts

jpwatts Bobtail Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    There was a shakeup with the Squire program. Word is the DM's will be moved to Knight no more recruiting for Squire and when I'm go solo I'll be directly with Knight. (same pay-scale though - thats the word I heard)

It's good news that you're getting the freight. I'm a bit worried about rolling enough as well but it is what it is.

The trainers I was with seemed to be straight up about the company as soon as they were convinced I didn't need a sales pitch and know what I'm getting into. Most big shippers that train are pretty much the same as far as I can tell, so no illusions here. The have to move freight and the drivers are the catalyst to get it done as cheaply and efficiently as they can - I'm a pure capitalist so I get it.

I've been treated with respect so far, all of my questions have been answered honestly by the office staff I've encountered as well as the drivers I've met. They are not promising the world will be rose colored so I don't feel I've been fed a line by them.

Like I said, I'll journal the first year and see if my impressions are correct. Take it light man, and thanks again.
    John

7. leatherman

leatherman Light Load Member

Oct 31, 2010
    anyone drive knight regional out of slc ut..what is your home time and miles like.. i need local work thanks for your input

8. deviltalk

deviltalk Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    Smaggs, I'm in Phoenix now waiting for my trainer. I have started a similar thread and it looks like our experiences have been the same through orientation.

I am glad I am where I am so far.

9. landlord

landlord Light Load Member

Jan 14, 2012
    chicago il
    how fast do knight trucks go?

10. landlord

landlord Light Load Member

Jan 14, 2012
    chicago il
    and how is life in chicago im from chicago and heard chicago drivers are getting miles??? reefer or dry???

11. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    61-66 mph, depending on what engine it has and how badly the shop has neutered it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.