My Experience with Landstar

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Bro_Dave, Feb 24, 2016.

1. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    Stay where your at. LS is a lot of things, but basically another good Ole boys trucking company. Food chain is la dstar corporate then agents then bcos. Bcos are covering all costs from shipper to receiver with no support.

WisconsinF150 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    been with landstar for over 2 years and I am not going anywhere. it is something how some guys get it and some just can't get a grasp of how it works . there are some things I don't like about it but for the most part can't really say anything bad about them. I guess it boils down too some guy's just are not cut out to be a owner operator to begin with and still quite a few guys need to have someone to tell them where to go and when to be there . you have to be honest with yourself before you even think about it. I guess it comes easy to me and don't really have to think about it . I haven't really had any problems with agent's because I don't call and start screaming . I deal mostly with about 12 agents depending on where I am at and that is about 80% of my loads but sometimes you have to get a double brokered load and the agent that you are dealing with will not no anything about the load and it really doesn't do any good to call and ##### when things go wrong with loading or unloading . it should not take you too long to figure out that a load that is listed by 10 different agents at 5 different rates has a problem with it . slow loading or unloading or you book that load at the high rate then 2 hours later they cancel because they found someone to take it at a lower rate . in other words you have to know what to avoid as much as what to take. you have to balance your home time and work time . it's hard to find a job that pays anything to watch TV or sit at a truck stop for 3 days waiting for the perfect load . so you can't be lazy and you have to be able to think. also you have to be able to manage your money so you can fix the truck and get over a slow period . if you can do those things you can find a good home at landstar if you can't you probably would be better off where you are now ... or better yet come work for a nice guy like me

Komputergod Thanks this.
  4. Buckeye 60

Apr 19, 2018
    I have sat 1 day in over 2 years and that was coming out of South Florida and not interested in pulling 85 cent a mile frieght ..... go to Florida to see my dad and brothers it's a crap getting out but always make it pay going down. .. April and may there watermelon pay 2.00 a mile other than that not worth the effort .. most of the time I have 2 or 3 loads booked in advance I don't like to sit so I don't mostly 50 Miles or less deadhead but I usually search loads within 150 miles because sometimes it pays to dead head some . the key to landstar is you have to use your brain if you don't want to do that sign up with a large carrier and have someone else do your thinking for you

Komputergod Thanks this.
  5. Newrookmiami

Newrookmiami Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Miami Florida
    I’ve heard nothing but good with Landstar it’s one of those common sense things especially if your picking your own loads I’m heavily considering Landstar after my 1 year driving experience they seem like a good fit I want to join there flatbed division

6. Buckeye 60

Apr 19, 2018
    for me it's a great fit ... but I think the failure rate is about 70 % in the first 3 months .. that's people that cant figure things out so it's not for everyone but after that 3 months the retention rate is very high ... right now it's really a lot easier than it was because the rates are really high most everywhere you go and flat bed is even better .. well good luck to you

Newrookmiami Thanks this.
  7. Komputergod

Komputergod Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2018
    How do you post on a forum that you ask too many questions??? Somebody please tell me the purpose of a forum...because I thought it was a place to ASK questions. I didn’t know this was a one liner kinda thing.

8. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Post your checks.

Komputergod Thanks this.
  9. Buckeye 60

Apr 19, 2018
    your right ask questions and talk to as many drivers as you can ... I get guys coming up to me at the fuel iland asking questions ... looks like good times are coming hopefully will Last for years lol .... had loads last year that paid 850 this spring paying 1250 for the same load . would be a good time to start out as if things went back in a survival mode you should know how to survive

Komputergod Thanks this.
  10. Buckeye 60

Apr 19, 2018
    they do have a securement class that you can take if you want to go to a flatbed from a van right now the flat bed rates are way up ... you have to have your own trailer for flat beds but you can start out with a van and there trailer till you can afford a trailer of your own

11. Newrookmiami

Newrookmiami Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Miami Florida
    Thanks for the info I spoke to them a few days ago along with the load securement class they also have flatbeds you could rent from them until you get your own it’s a $185 per settlement charge I think I might start with that until I can get my own Fontaine and max have some good quality flat beds but there too of the line so the price is top of the line as well I just need a little more time I rather by it cash so until then I will be using there flatbed I appreciate the info

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.