My Experience with UPSF

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by ACH1130, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    I got a friend that works at that yard. He just got hired a few months back. He said they had been running him pretty good and that they hired a bunch of people. Where do you work now?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Are there any LTL carrier that CRST doesnt haul for besides old d? Good grief. I think I am going to leave con-way and go follow the gold rush. lol

4. Casual Trucker

Casual Trucker Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2012
    You did the right thing glad to see you there & if you are going to give your best to a company you just as well give it to the best companies out there.

5. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    @road_runner anything can happen, you never know reddaway could expand towards here.

@oi! yea they route us through this one awful highway that isnt truck friendly at all... its only a few mile longer and the other way would be cheaper in tolls as well

@hammer71 I agree that using outside carriers isnt good. I was surprised we use them, according to guys I work with it was grandfathered in but heard the union is trying to put an end to that. One guy I work with says he dont care about it as he thinks we wont have to work weekends, but our terminal is a end of line so I think we wouldnt anyways

@cenutryclass YRC doesnt use the outside carriers. I have never seen any trucks pulling their trailers or leave a hub. They do use the railroad quite a bit which was annoying. One yard was 72 miles away... if we got the other it wa 209 each way which was a nice day.

well had a much needed good weekend, back to work tomorrow night

The Challenger and Jrdude5 Thank this.
  6. Hammer71

Hammer71 Light Load Member

May 21, 2012
    Montgomery NY
    Arch, Guys like that are the reason we have the outside contractors, if we dont all stand against it they will start using more and more of them. Then he can have more than the weekends off. Glad to see you understand.

ACH1130 Thanks this.
  7. CenutryClass

Feb 15, 2006
    thats the con-way.. You could mistake our yard for a pilot or flying J, or a werner or crst dropyard

8. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    Good thing about my Reddaway yard is those big trucks won't fit in there! No problem in the Fontana yard though. I'm glad YRC doesn't use outside carriers, yet.

9. ACH1130

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    @Hammer71 I worked for CWF and the outside carriers killed us on line-haul... A friend of mine who worked there was a huge suck up to them and he kept saying they are good to help save money. Now my thing is, if we were THAT short of drivers, having a hard time moving freight, leaving behind then ok have them help out till we get it together but not to have them pull our freight and have us sit home. Im not sure if you guys have weekends off but we do at FRM, but then again its a end of line. AT YRC in Maybrook they ran 24/7, and never had outside carriers. Guess you have to take the good with the bad, but at least we were all working, most I ever sat there was a day and I was at the bottom.

@cool35 Im sure its only a matter of time

10. CenutryClass

Feb 15, 2006
    Hey Andrew, do you work out of the Elmsford barn? If memory serves correct there is a UPSF barn across the street.

11. ACH1130

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    No that is a Parcel barn. Closest barn to Westchester is Nanuet. I'm out of long island

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.