My Experiences as a driver for Millis

Discussion in 'Millis' started by stevenneill, Mar 1, 2014.

1. stevenneill

stevenneill Medium Load Member

Nov 11, 2013
    Weatherford, Texas 76086
    Its been some time since I spoke with Harold about it. He explained the idle bonus in like my second week in class, and I didn't pay much attention then, But I seem to remember that the bonus was substantial, with a higher bonus the lower the idle time. So far I haven't needed to idle the truck. The Espar does a great job of keeping it warm, and it hasn't been warm enough for me to need AC, but I nearly went bankrupt keeping my business open before I finally closed it down, so I have a lot of bills I need to catch up on. For me, every penny is needed, so if I get an extra bonus for low Idle time, I want to count it up until it gets too hot...since no one seemed to consider the air conditioner when they put the Espar in.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dmgabe

dmgabe Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2012
    Centralia, IL
    The idle bonus isn't big enough to stress over. It kicks in under 30% I think and goes up at 20 and 10. As long as you keep it under 40% they won't bother you about it. I know I've seen the numbers, but having trouble finding them now. Pretty sure we are talking about fractions of a penny.

The safety bonus is 2 cents paid quarterly and 1 paid annually (goes up slightly with seniority) Preventable accidents are the main thing you will lose it for.

stevenneill Thanks this.
  4. stevenneill

Nov 11, 2013
    Weatherford, Texas 76086
    Well, I guess, I'll check it out when I get this week's pay stub, cause I have no need to idle right now, I'm under 8% right now, but if there is no real benefit to maintaining a low idle, I won't bother with it.

5. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    I think the idle bonus has a minimum amount of miles to qualify...like 9K...and the further under 40% you keep it the more you make a month. I made at least an extra 80-100 bucks a month off of the idle bonus. Think the most I got was 115 bucks...I did what I could to keep it down.

eurotrash and stevenneill Thank this.
  6. dmgabe

dmgabe Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2012
    Centralia, IL
    As long as you try even a little to keep it under control you will make it most of the time. With the idle limiters coming it will be even easier. I only idle when it's hot or really humid or really cold. Even then I try to cycle it a bit. Crank the AC and get it cold as balls then turn the truck off. It will stay plenty cool for several hours most nights. Nice nights, opening the good after you park to let some of that engine heat dissipate helps keep the cab cool also.

stevenneill and eurotrash Thank this.
  7. stevenneill

Nov 11, 2013
    Weatherford, Texas 76086
    Well, its been a while since I updated here...got a lot going on, but things are going well. A few mishaps, but nothing worth relating. I settled on getting an inverter from Black River Falls, total cost was $579, paid in payroll deductions at $75 a week, a little more than I wanted but I'm good with it, its an 1800 watt inverter and its mine. I leave the truck, it leaves the truck, so I'm happy. Now I'm using the microwave and crock pot to cook every night and its good.

My biggest struggle as a new driver is learning the ins and outs of all the places we load and deliver to, and learning all the little things everyone takes for granted. My last few posts show that I know little about the bonuses or how they work, and I know little still about the highways and interstates. I just learned today that Indiana doesn't salt thier roads, and I'm not sure how I missed that tidbit, but it is small stuff like that...

There will always be things I don't like and that'll be the case anywhere I go, but I'm happy with Millis. My first week was only 1486 miles, but I was coming off hometime and lost half a week, then the reciever was closed on weekends so I lost another day there. Second week was 2246, I think, but I lost a day at Black River and had some issues getting loaded and unloaded at a couple of places, lost five hours at one place and nine at another, so It really interfered with my driving time for that week. This week will be 1786 after I deliver in two days, and that'll leave me Friday afternoon, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday so I'm really hoping...begging...for a 3k week, and next Saturday I go on hometime again and get to see the wife and kids.

Things at home have been a bit of a struggle as one of my kids keeps developing health problems, but I gotta do what I gotta do and Pat makes sure I get home on time so I'm happy.

Becoming a new driver is fraught with challenges and you gotta keep your head on straight. I'm happy to help so if you need any advice from a newbie, or have any questions feel free to holler at me.

8. tntim

tntim Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2014
    Smryna, TN
    I appreciate all your posts and information Steve. Wanted to say Thanks and keep those posts coming.

Tim (formerly known as JustGettinStarted)

stevenneill Thanks this.
  9. playamwj12

playamwj12 Heavy Load Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Doing good Steven. Indiana does doa terrible job maintaining their roads . They will use as little as possible if any to treat the roads. Surrounding state do much better.

stevenneill Thanks this.
  10. stevenneill

Nov 11, 2013
    Weatherford, Texas 76086
    Well. Been posting less/and less. Honestly haven't had time. Pat is keeping me busy. Very little down time and my big issue I guess is just learning all the delivery locations and the quirks with each. No issues and no complaints. I've begun doing some videos on you tube. Kind of a way to connect with my family while I'm gone...help others looking to get into trucking, and teach myself.

Brdhntr Thanks this.
  11. tntim

tntim Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2014
    Smryna, TN
    Whats your YouTube name?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.