My FFE experience

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by wpmclam, Feb 12, 2010.

1. heyns57

heyns57 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2006
    near Kalamazoo Speedway
    Only two refrigerated carriers increased revenue in 2009 compared to 2008, C.R. England and CanXpress. Refrigerated carriers showed relative strength during the recession in spite of losses. Other carriers are contemplating expansion into the field. See Transport Topics Top 100 For-Hire Carriers 2010, page A20.

FFE ranks fifth among refrigerated carriers. Their percent of change in revenue from 2008 to 2009 was -24%. The average change for the sector was -10.8%. See above reference page A23.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    FFE is a well established company that did alright in their hayday. It is still operated by the Stubbs family and their corporate name is Conwell Corp. They "adjust" with marketing conditions to stay afloat. They own American Eagle and Lisa Motor lines. They have/had terminals in Chicago and 2 in N.J. plus Atlanta, Memphis, Los Angeles. I worked there for 18 months in the late 90's. I would rate them about a 6.

4. Hubcap

Hubcap Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Rhome Texas
    I know Lisa and American Eagle in Fort Worth were always kind to me and the students I handed to them.

5. tdog89

tdog89 Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2010
    So overall would you say that FFE would be a "good" company to start off with? I looked into Prime, and cr england. I have heard stay away from Prime because they will just screw you. And CR England I heard will try to do the same with all the deduction and stuff. After looking around and everything I just figured FFE would be one of the better start off companies to get my CDL (paid) and just stick it out for a year or so.

6. Hubcap

Dec 29, 2009
    Rhome Texas
    Many know that I have said this before, but ANY company that will pay you to get your first year of experience in is a good one. Just stay away from the salesmen trying to get you into a lease to own program.

Get some experience in reefer and start trying companies like John Christner. One of my ex students is an OO there and She started with Central Ref. then Navajo and She is happy with JCT. She has been in trucking since 2004.

You could do a lot worse than FeeFee (FFE's nick name).

7. tdog89

tdog89 Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Ya there is some pretty bad companies out there. Ya I do not want to get lease or anything like that. I just want to keep it simple and be a Solo Company Driver for 1-2 years than possible go to another company or a local one. I just know that almost any "good" company wont get you on unless you have 1 year OTR experience. So you got to start somewhere lol

8. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    Maverick has a refrigerated division. I work on the flatbed and I think they are excellent!

9. Hubcap

Dec 29, 2009
    Rhome Texas
    When did they start that? Cool.

But I know you will stick to flatbedding..Something about having to wipe the sweat out of you eyes while strapping down in the middle of summer. Or slipping and falling on your rear in the middle of winter in a snow storm.

Gotta love the challenge!

10. tdog89

tdog89 Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Lol I have looked at Maverick there about 20 miles from my home in Arkansas. But I am 21 and Maverick I do believe when I called them require 23. I looked at USA trucking but you have to be 22. I turn 22 in January but kinda needing a descent job right now.

11. wpmclam

wpmclam Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Venus, TX
    You wanna stay away from USA truck. I have never heard anything good about them

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.