My first roadside inspection

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by A Bug, Jul 22, 2018.

1. A Bug

A Bug Heavy Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Sevierville TN
    I had just gotten off i-35 in Denton Tx and heading west on us-380. This is the point where I always breathe a sigh of relief because I have just gotten out of the bad part of all the dfw traffic and can usually just relax now on the open road. Speed limit is 65 with little traffic and I can blast the local Dallas classical music station WRR.

Not even five miles into my peace of mind I see txdot behind me with his lights going. There was no way he could be getting me for speeding, I was only doing 66 and no one in tx will ever bother you for doing only a single mile over the limit.

I pull over to the shoulder and the officer pulls way into the grassy ditch behind me. I roll down the windows, shut off the engine, and wait.

Nothing happens for a long time. I start to wonder. Maybe he saw my missing mud flap on the passenger side of the truck. But he would not write me up a ticket for that, I mean I had a 53 foot dry van attached so that makes it legal right? Still though that might be what he noticed and is going to give me a warning. #### if only I had gotten that thing taken care of when the tire blew out the other day. It had been over 110 degrees the last few days and it had torn the retread right off my #9 drive tire, taking out the mud flap. I was hoping I could just get the bracket and flap fixed the next time I was going by the repair yard to drop the truck off so as to avoid out of route downtime.

But wait, I could have sworn I did not drive by this guy on the road. I was certain he had just come from behind and was not likely to have seen my missing flap at all. Where was he anyways? It has been at least five minutes since he pulled me over.

He aint at the driver door. I get up to look out the passenger window and he is standing there looking at me, his hand on the door handle, just staring at me.

"Hi ya there!" I try to look natural.

"Hi" he replies. Pauses a beat then says, "Just pulled you over for an inspection"

Crap, an inspection was the last thing I was expecting. Come the end of July will be five years of driving for me and have never had an inspection before. Thought I was always divinely protected from such things, inspections were things that could only happen to other drivers, never to me.

"Let me see your cdl, paperwork, and bills."

I pull out my wallet and my tx chl falls out when I pull out my cdl. I always keep them together because I know I will forget to show it to the officer if I am ever pulled over, like right now. It used to be a major offense if you failed to show any officer that you were licensed to carry when dealing with them, though that law has been relaxed now I know. "I do not have my weapon on me, left it in my car since I am driving up to WY and not sure if it is legal in all the states I am going through." I explain.

"No need to do that" he tells me. All those states reciprocate with TX that you will be going through. Most states do, unless you are going to some of the coastal states then you should be fine to carry your weapon in the truck there with you." And so ends for me the life long debate on the issue. Company policy is still another thing of course.

"Now lets see that paperwork" This guy is no nonsense. Show me your hos.

I turn my AOBRD display and pull out my ifta, insurance, and registration. This may be my first dot inspection, but all those times I had to go into WY and bring in those pieces of paperwork to the port of entry nazis has kept me prepared and up to date on all that stuff.

Is this how inspections work? Are they not usually done when you pull into weigh stations, not just a random pull over on the shoulder of the highway? Oh man my boss is going to be pissed because of that mud flap. On top of that I know that the tread on one of the trailer tires is starting to separate and will be noticed if the officer looks close. Why did this have to happen two days after the blow out?

"Turn off your flashers and turn on your headlights and turn signals when I signal you"

I remember my boss said something a while back about a small bonus for a clean inspection, fat chance on that. I am just wondering how much of a ticket I am going to end up with. Then I will have to call safety and admit to all the things that were wrong with the truck. My boss is going to give me that disappointed look and make me feel bad.

"Sir I told you to turn on your headlights"

"Oh right, my first time here!" I need to pay attention here. Cannot let myself get stressed out. We go through all the lights, repeating through everything for the back of the cab and then again for the rear of the trailer. At least I knew the lights would be good. I had just checked them when I left Terrell 90 minutes ago.

I wondered if he could hear the air leaking out around the fifth wheel. My air bags would at random times make a lot of noise just depending on how I was parked. Five years and it finally happens! I had such high hopes for this week. Was getting several extra stops and miles than the usual, meaning a lot more money. This was going to depress me for the rest of the week.

"Here is your paperwork, be careful on the road." He hands me a receipt and all my stuff.

I was shocked. It said no violations. Level 2. Whole thing was about 20 minutes. I call my boss and safety about the inspection and am told good job.

That was not as bad as I had feared. Still though I have a feeling that it was the mud flap that caused the whole thing in the first place. I pull back to the highway. But then, not even two miles back on the road and there is the same guy! He has another truck pulled over. I am nearly paralyzed with dread, somewhere in the back of my mind I can remember being told something about a dot blitz. I had just ignored it, like I said in all my five years I was never once bothered before.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

If you quit your day job, do become a writer.

Congrats on the pass!

Sirscrapntruckalot - What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about?

4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Some states do them more at scale houses, others drive around and pull you over more, some are a mix. Texas does a lot more roadside, california does more at their scales, but either state will also use the other method.
    That is usually how it goes. They are looking more for people who really don't have their crap together. If you do your best, and are honest, they will often overlook minor issues. By the same token, if you are a dick to them, they will be 10x worse in return. If you show blatant disregard for the law or are driving equipment that should have been repaired a long time ago they will have an issue with that.

One positive thing about the elog is way less nervousness when it comes to that part of the inspection. Back when I was real fast and loose on paper I always was holding my breath for the duration of the inspection cuz it was generally mostly complete b.s. I had written down lol

5. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Agree with Sirscrap. Great writing..:happy1:

5years & just a level 2..?, you are one lucky duck. Congrats on your 1st pass.

Don't forget to ask about that company paid incentive money.
    I've read some are like $100 for level 1 & $50 for level 2..

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  6. hagarcobra

hagarcobra Medium Load Member

May 24, 2013
    Really??? Congratulations drama queen.

lagbrosdetmi Thanks this.
  7. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    As an old timer on this forum, I have just come to the realization that whenever I see your username, I say it in my head as, “Sir craps a lot in his truck.”

Just thought you should know. Lol

nax, SingingWolf, jammer910Z and 5 others Thank this.
  8. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Took me longer to read all that than any level 2 I’ve ever had. Lol.

Don’t be so nervous next time. These guys are just doing their jobs out here, just like you and I. Smile, be polite, maybe a little humor, and it’ll go smoothly. All he wants is to make sure you’re not high and not rolling a pile of crap down the road.

I’ve had a bunch of roadside inspections in my years out here. Most times end up sitting in the Tahoe and chatting with the officer for a while after it’s all over. They’re good guys.

stwik and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  9. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

As an old timer on this forum, I have just come to the realization that whenever I see your username, I say it in my head as, “Sir craps a lot in his truck.”

Just thought you should know. Lol

Not entirely original. An well aware. I've had my name for awhile now. ;)

Get your laughs where you can tho I always say!

One must be able to see humor in all things, including themselves. Plus it's just a name..if it makes you giggle who am I to get offended? Thick skin, an life is to #### short to get upset over something silly. So...I laugh with you.

Sirscrapntruckalot - If you can't laugh at yourself, give me a call. I'll do it for you. - The Internet

SingingWolf and ShooterK2 Thank this.
  10. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Sometimes I think the same thoughts lol. September will be 4 years w/o an inspection

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Leave him alone. We were all there at some point.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.