My first week's experience with FedEx and as a OTR trucker

Discussion in 'FedEx' started by Quinid, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Quinid

Quinid Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Chambana, IL
    We go terminal to terminal. So far our week starts on Tuesday or Wednesday, Do either the cali run, or do a few random runs to last the week. As a team, we been hovering around 4900-5400 miles a week. So far every time I get home Saturday evening. After checking in and unhooking I usually get home around midnight, just in time to shower, walk a few blocks to the bar, make last call, and catch up with friends and the girlfriend. So yeah I get all day Sundays and Mondays off. The boss said before fedex flooded themselves with contractors and the economy taking a hit, it used to be so your receiving terminal would be calling you, asking how much longer till you are there cuz they have a load ready for you to grab immediately. He said he was so busy he was hitting his 70 hours, and that is supposed to not happen with team drivers. He said he used to have to make up an excuse to take his truck to the shop, just so he could get some time off. Cuz otherwise they will screw you the next week if your excuse was something like family or something. But he says they just don't that busy anymore.

He did say we will be out two weeks at a time or more in the winter. Most of the veteran contractors will pass up on west coast runs just to avoid the ice in the mountains.

So this week they sent us to Denver, Colorado. They still mad, they kept the cali run from us despite us being #1 on the list. From there they sent us to Oregon.. From there they sent us to a place 30 miles from LA, I was asleep during all that thank god. BTW Oregon to southern Cali SUCKS. 55mph limit for trucks the whole way, soo boring and unnecessary in my opinion. I remember almost getting thrown off my bed twice tho cuz of idiot 4-wheelers. I think it was called Industrial Complex or something. So we still ended up getting good miles, despite what the bitter original dispatcher wanted us to get. Then the entire fedex computer system went down for the day. Dispatch was a cluster-F. No one had any idea what was going on so the dispatch offices were flooded with angry drivers including my boss with no clue what the heck is gonna happen, where they going, or when. We did 2 short trips around LA, then they sent us straight back to Illinois. I got home 12:15am Sunday morning. We got stalled, cuz the terminals are closed Saturdays and Sundays, so when the drivers get back, they just unhook the trailers anywhere they will fit, and its a maze to get in, unhook and go home. It was absolutely a mess this week, it's obvious some of the drivers didn't give a crap where they unhooked this week. Some even left the doubles attached together. I'm sure we are gonna get a lecture Tuesday, cuz security even warned us not to do what the previous drivers did. Fedex doesn't want to have to give the linehaul kids extra hours to clean up the mess Sunday or Monday.

And yeah, we noticed a few fedex trucks were governed, alot in New Mexico and Texas for some reason. Ours is governed at 79, but I hardly ever hit that speed anyway. It does anger me when I want to get some momentum before going up the mountains tho.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RJ33RD

RJ33RD Heavy Load Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Thanks quin for the info I was wondering about the otr side of things , oh yeah I seen one fedex truck in a driveway do you guys get to take ur trucks home or do everybody run teams . Well I guess ur in training now so if that's the case when do u go solo.

4. Quinid

Quinid Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Chambana, IL
    Some here take their truck home, not many tho. They do have the choice tho. Not everyone run teams, but the teams do get the longer runs. You can choose to do either, but in my opinion, team is the way to go if you want good miles. Solo drivers get the short runs. The more runs, the more chances you are stuck waiting till morning for a load to be ready. But I guess dealing with the other driver 24 hours a day could be annoying. I'm fortunate that my teammate is clean, laid back, and cool as hell.

5. RJ33RD

RJ33RD Heavy Load Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Lol that's good to hear I might look into it myself...

6. gesterly1

gesterly1 Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Haines City, Florida
    Are all FedEx Company trucks governed?

7. Quinid

Quinid Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Chambana, IL
    No. But get caught doin over 79mph or 10 over in a construction zone and you are automatically fired, nothing can be done. Speed limit could be 85, hit 80 and job over... They have been putting GPS trackers on the front of the newer trailers lately and dispatch definitely checks on them. We have very short time to destination so they check on a normal basis worrying. So the governor I'm on doesn't really matter.

8. TREE

TREE Heavy Load Member

May 11, 2010
    OHIO
    Sounds like there is some good working for Fed x.
    Good luck with them bro~!:biggrin_25515:

9. JohnOTR

JohnOTR Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Springfield, Ma
    Quick question,
    Do you work for an owner operator ? if yes how did you find this position? I've been wanting to work at Fedex driving over the road, I've checked Craigslist but no luck yet, unless there is another website where Fedex contractors advertise.

10. RJ33RD

RJ33RD Heavy Load Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    John u would have to either go to the fedex website or call your local fedex ground terminal and ask them about their o/o. But with the merger all fedex freight drivers do line haul which u are home every night.

11. twicepipes

twicepipes Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Riverside Ca
    Quinid, you are a real piece of work. Just for starters, you are NOT a Fedex Freight over the road driver. How do I know this? Do you wear a fedex freight uniform which is a company requirement, No Do you have a Fedex Freight ID card, No, Do you receive Fedex Freight benefits, No, Does your paycheck come from Fedex Freight No, you probably get paid cash under the table. Does you super fast truck say Fedex Freight on the side of it, No. You couldn't qualify to be a Fedex Freight Line Driver. You work for a contractor who pulls Fedex Freight Trailers. Your "Boss" probably doesn't own the truck since he doesn't worry about how much fuel you burn. He works for the guy or company who owns the tractor. Just incase you don't know the difference between Fedex Freight and Fedex Ground, those trucks are owned by employees of fedex Ground. The sub haulers are required to wear the uniform and it does say Fedex Ground on the door, but like you they don't receive company benefits, just a check from the owner of the truck. Yes it is true, all the Fedex Freight company trucks are governed to do 65 MPH, but then we make 60 cents a mile and 24 bucks an hour when we are on the clock, plus benefits. Up to 4 weeks paid vacation a year vacation, one week sick leave paid whether you use it or not, medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K and a pension plan. We are also required to have an "hasmat endorsement" and a back ground check from the Dept. of Homeland Security. I bet those are two things you don't have. Master Level Fedex Freight Line Driver with more than 33 years with the company and over 3,000,000 miles of safe driving, Retired. The way your driving I predict, you'll be flipping hamburgers this time next year or kill someone. TP

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.